3800Pro Forums banner

Tool Q

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Connolly 
#1 ·
I had a couple questions about tools, partly for the block, partly for the heads, so I figured I'd post it here.

Anyway, my first question is about micrometers. I've seen a set locally on sale for $20 (usually $40), its a Cen-tech unit consisting of 3 mic's 0-1, 1-2, 2-3. This is really cheap for micrometers, and I was wondering if it is recommended to get a high quality set (I figure I only really need like 0-4" worth) which would be like $100-150 or if a cheap set is okay. They both have the same decimal accuracy so I was wondering if the difference is only in how soon they'll break or if the cheaper units will have poor accuracy?

Second question is about a burette (sp?). I saw jegs has one for $150 w/ the stand, but that seems like quite a bit for a glass vial w/ measurements. Is this normal price for these, or is there a place where I can get an accurate one for cheaper?

#2 ·
Are you looking to do engine work for a living? If not, the cheap mikes probably will work for you. You need to be carefull about temp. They tend to get out of cal with temp changes. It should come with a cal tool. Use it often.

#3 ·
I'm probably not going to be doing this for a living, although I'm sure I'll end up doing engine work again at some point, but for now its more of a one time thing (I hope-lol). So as long as you keep them calibrated with those reference pieces, a cheap set is okay?

#5 ·
I ended up buying the set, but I noticed they had one for about double the cost, but then I noticed the accuracies. The kit I've bought is accurate to .001" and the next kit up is accurate to .0001". Is my cheap .001" kit going to be okay, or should I go pick up the other set also?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.