3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a '98 GTP and its having this problem thats driving me nuts!! The car runs great and when we go to step on it, the fuel pump fuse blows and the car dies. Whats causing this? What can I do to fix it? Thanks !

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
The fuel pump runs at 2 different pressure settings depending on boost requirements. There are 2 relays for the fuel pump. A speed control relay and a fuel pump relay. The speed control relay bypasses the fuel pump resistor and applies full voltage to the pump. Sounds like either you have a bad pump or possibly a bad relay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harry!

Harry; Thanks for the Great suggeston; I was thinking it may have something to do with the resistor. I have all the service records with the car and it had a new one at 58k.
I forgot to mention that this happens when pulling out into traffic; attempting to pass a car or even pulling away from a stop sign under light throttle and even just cruising down the street. It happened twice yesterday and once on the way to the hospital 2 days ago when my wife was in labor. Its very inconsintent and couldnt make the car do it if I wanted to. All the help is very appreciated. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Josh,

Does the car die out and then restart right away? If so my car does this occationaly and only has happened when cruising. Everything in the car works when it does this. Mine has been dying for a while now and I have been lucky that it hasn't happened on the highway :( yet..

Let me know if the relay works.

Thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car wont restart without replacing the fuel pump fuse first as when the car dies its always the blown fuse; im attempting to figure out whats causing the fuse to blow. Thanks for your help.
JCM

·
Registered
116 Posts
They are in the underhood fusebox, they should be labled there...

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Little help.

NofuelGTP said:
Where are these two relays located and what do they look like?
Depends on the year and make/model of car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Look in first post :rolleyes:

1Hot97 said:
Depends on the year and make/model of car :rolleyes:
NofuelGTP said:
We have a '98 GTP and its having this problem thats driving me nuts!! The car runs great and when we go to step on it, the fuel pump fuse blows and the car dies. Whats causing this? What can I do to fix it? Thanks !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ITS Fixed!

This is weird....I replaced the fuel pump resistor which was already done once before we bought the car. Installed the New Resistor and no more blowing fuses; no more hesitation on acceleration. Wonder if they're prone to vibration.... Thanks Guys! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When the resistor was replaced the first time they had relocated it to the firewall. I installed the new one in the same place; no more issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts