3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go again. After what I thought was a successful first time ever for me rebuild and a week of working just fine the transmission has started slipping in second gear when the throttle is punched at around 40mph and the transmission is forced to downshift. I really need someone who knows these transmissions and how they work to tell me what the problem could be. It has new clutches and a shift kit. I will admit that it wasn't as clean as it could have been when it went together but it ran just fine for a week. Its my buddy's car and it started acting up on his way home from the track and a npb of 8.74 with a npb of a 1.98 60ft on street tires. Could this be caused by the dirt. I will also admit that we didn't changed any of the sealing rings in the clutch pack because we didn't have a clutch spring compressor to disassemble them. Is there a way to test transmission without taking it out of the car. I noticed in my trans manual there is a port used for testing pressures. Could this help. I know I am going to take his transaxle back out but I would like to have an idea of what it might be before we do. Any help would be appreciated. The guy is about to give up and sell the car. I really don't want that to happen. I would feel horrible. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mike3800gtp said:
doubtful that itll be the problem, but did you check to make sure tranny fluid is totally full?
What's tranny fluid? :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
False alarm, the tranny is fine. My buddy is a young and dumb. I never actually witnesed the tranny slipping. Turns out it was spinning the tires the whole time. It would quickly hit red line and scare him and he would let out before the transmission had time to shift. It only does it when the transmission is forced to downshift into 1st gear from a 30 mph roll. It puts it near redline and right in the middle of the powerband. This with the shift kit spins the tires loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.