3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have a general idea of what needs to be done. I already have most of the belt driven components off and out of the way, I just need to get the crank pulley off. After that pulley is off, is it as simple as unbolting the cover, cleaning it up, resealing it, and bolting it back on? I want to do this right so I kinda want an idea of everything I should watch for and do while doing this.

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
There's 3x oil pan bolts that go into the bottom of the cover (3/8" head). You'll want to use Ultra Grey RTV to re-seal the bottom/corners to the oil pan gasket.

I'd do a thin-thin spread of RTV on each side of the cover gasket, too, if you want it to be overkill sealed.

Note that there's 2x guide pins in the block that can be a struggle as you pull the cover off. I have footage of prep/install in a video I posted last year, Part 1 or 2 for the Buick upgrade build (my entertainment value was low, but feel free to just pause and look at parts).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's 3x oil pan bolts that go into the bottom of the cover (3/8" head). You'll want to use Ultra Grey RTV to re-seal the bottom/corners to the oil pan gasket.

I'd do a thin-thin spread of RTV on each side of the cover gasket, too, if you want it to be overkill sealed.

Note that there's 2x guide pins in the block that can be a struggle as you pull the cover off. I have footage of prep/install in a video I posted last year, Part 1 or 2 for the Buick upgrade build (my entertainment value was low, but feel free to just pause and look at parts).
Alright thanks for the info, I'll take a look at those videos for sure. Are torque specs important here?

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
The front cover is something like 11ftlbs (there's a post here and elsewhere with a list of torque specs). The main ones are those (with Teflon, because they go into water passages), and the harmonic balancer that should get a new bolt each time with proper torque. You could get away with feeling out the cover/pan bolts in a pinch, but the crank pulley is important.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front cover is something like 11ftlbs (there's a post here and elsewhere with a list of torque specs). The main ones are those (with Teflon, because they go into water passages), and the harmonic balancer that should get a new bolt each time with proper torque. You could get away with feeling out the cover/pan bolts in a pinch, but the crank pulley is important.
I didn't know the balancer needed a new bolt each time. I was just gonna reuse the old one but since it's torque to yield I probably shouldn't. The issue is I can't for the life of me find any harmonic balancer bolts for a 97 GP. Any idea where I can find one?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know the balancer needed a new bolt each time. I was just gonna reuse the old one but since it's torque to yield I probably shouldn't. The issue is I can't for the life of me find any harmonic balancer bolts for a 97 GP. Any idea where I can find one?
Never mind I finally found one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how can I get the crank bolt on with the proper torque? I don't have air tools at the moment, I'll be able to borrow some Monday but I don't want to just blast it on there and my torque wrench doesn't go that high.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So how can I get the crank bolt on with the proper torque? I don't have air tools at the moment, I'll be able to borrow some Monday but I don't want to just blast it on there and my torque wrench doesn't go that high.
[/Q
Perhaps your best choice would be to have a local GM dealership order one in for you. You could also take the old balancer bolt to a nut/bolt store and buy one from them being sure the bolt threads are the same as the old bolt....

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
You should be able to get a cheap torque wrench at Harbor Freight/Tractor Supply/Lowe's/etc. that goes to 150 for about $10-30. I usually clamp the flexplate with Vise Grips carefully (see my race prep video when I out a Powrbond one on).

Air tools are a luxury that I still don't have/use for these projects. Even when I was at a fully equipped shop, it wasn't something I found a need to hookup too many times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the cover on just now. Still gotta put everything back together. I did it by feel, hopefully it all sealed right. I didn't go super duper tight and used sealant on the bolts that needed it. I think my pattern was good too, did a side to side pattern.

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Hope you get it buttoned up and running soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got it running tonight but there seems to be some kind of knocking on the belt drive side. Shouldn't be the water pump, it's new and tight. Crank pulley maybe? I followed the torque specs and used a new bolt. Will it knock if it's too tight? It can't be loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it running tonight but there seems to be some kind of knocking on the belt drive side. Shouldn't be the water pump, it's new and tight. Crank pulley maybe? I followed the torque specs and used a new bolt. Will it knock if it's too tight? It can't be loose.

It's a little quieter after a small amount of driving, still not sure if the cover is leaking still or if it's from what I spilled filling it. Time will tell, I don't see why it would leak I went back in with another gasket and redid the cover to make sure I torqued it down properly this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts