·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bent some valves when my timing was off. Anyways, I am
going to have to replace them. Currently, my heads are ported, with
ls6 springs, titanium retainers and stock valves. I am considering
upgrading to the 1.60inch exhaust and 1.84inch intake valves. Would I
benefit much from using those valves over stock? I am using a stage 2 cam.

I read the article about valve seat recession on intense, do people just use a
lead additive each time they fill up their gas tank or how does that
work?

Thanks for your time! :)

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I would think that larger valves would add power with your camshaft, if you have the other supporting mods. I couldn't find any article on valve seat recession. Modern heads have hardened seats that should not wear with unleaded gas. I imagine a lead additive would kill your cat and O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Ok, thanks for the link. From what I read, VSR only applies to older engines or new heads with larger exhaust valves. If you stick with 1.57" exhaust valves or smaller, you shouldn't have a problem. Once you go bigger, the machinist cuts out the hardening and you can start to have the VSR problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1Hot97 said:
Once you go bigger, the machinist cuts out the hardening and you can start to have the VSR problem.
They would probably have to re-seat the valves to go this big. The question is, is there enough room in the cylinder for these size valves. I would go as big as you can on the exhaust, the intake being optional. The exhaust needs more help than the intake on a blown car (as you can see in the exhaust biasd cam profiles some companies sell for blower cars).

-Geoff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.