3800Pro Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I would wrap it in exhaust wrap. If it is the ssac flex i would go all in its the flex!!!!!
yea I will either try that or just for the hell of it get a ZZP flex and replace it anyway for the quality of the part. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was? I just started a thread concerning the same problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did you ever figure out what it was? I just started a thread concerning the same problem.
No I haven't figured it out yet... it is a bit quieter than it used to be though I haven't been driving the car on the road. Just running it a bit in the driveway every now and then to keep the battery charged while I work on my speaker amps and stuff. I am hoping if it is debris in the lifter or a partially collapsed lifter that the reduction in noise means it's cleaning out or filling back up again. Other than that theory I haven't gotten the flex section replaced yet due to time and money shortages but I am hoping to get it changed out soon. I did take the valve cover off and the rockers and push rods seemed fine to me... really wasn't much play if any at all in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No I haven't figured it out yet... it is a bit quieter than it used to be though I haven't been driving the car on the road. Just running it a bit in the driveway every now and then to keep the battery charged while I work on my speaker amps and stuff. I am hoping if it is debris in the lifter or a partially collapsed lifter that the reduction in noise means it's cleaning out or filling back up again. Other than that theory I haven't gotten the flex section replaced yet due to time and money shortages but I am hoping to get it changed out soon. I did take the valve cover off and the rockers and push rods seemed fine to me... really wasn't much play if any at all in there.
Here's the link to the thread I started, I'll be uploading a video shortly.
http://www.3800pro.com/forum/cams-heads-valvetrain/32364-valve-train-noise.html#post200509

·
Registered
23 Posts
First video has been posted, two more to follow and one is dark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So uhh.. I know its been 9 years now buuuut... Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a problem with mine that sounds very similar to yours.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I too have noisy rockers.....SLP brand. IN my case, I have near zero clearance when checked when rockers are fully UP. I did this purposely to eliminate lifter pump-up. When it's running (especially when cold) it sounds like a solid lifter engine. But I'm more interested in high rpm performance so this stops lifter pump up at higher RPM.

If you really want to stop this noise, pull the valve covers and turn the engine over by hand. While doing this, stop when any given rocker is fully UP at tip. One can usually feel by hand WHEN THE ROCKER IS IN THE FULL UP POSITION. If there's play in this position, one would need to get adjustable pushrods to take up the SLACK. Another way(which would probably require a machine shop) to machine 10 to 15 thousants off the bottom of the rocker mounting surface. BASICALLY taking up the clearance. This will stop the lifter clatter IF THAT IS REALLY THE ISSUE.

On another note, if the rockers are "after market", take a close look for any interference with valve spring retainers to rocker body. You could actually see this if you pull a few rockers and inspect lower side.

ONE last way to take up rocker to valve tip clearance is to buy a set of valve stem tip "CAPS". When you use these, they will put more preload on the lifters which should stop lifter clatter. My choice would be adjustable pushrods......GOOD ONES.

On my modded GTP, I too have clatter...but I was after more high rpm performance without lifter pump up. But with the modded engine and DIAMOND pistons, there's plenty of clatter......kind of like a solid lifter engine. Benn this way for several years with no side effects other than a little clatter....... most hot rods are noisy....... Jake

·
Registered
930 Posts
Before you buy push rods, is there any slack on the rockers to valve? If they are all tight, longer push rods may not help. If they had play, then I'd say go for it. So, you may want to check for loose rocker to valve stem clearance....there should be no play when the valves are all the way up. When checking this, you will need to turn the engine over by hand and check the rockers for any play/clearance at the tip of valves(the rocker will need to be completely up for checking PLAY/CLEARANCE).

Once you know how much clearance there is, ask ZZ which push rods they suggest you buy. Good luck, Jake

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had a ticking sound on my 2006 Grand Prix 3800SC engine. Using the stethoscope I narrowed it down to the bottom of the bellhousing area. The funny thing is that the sounds comes and goes. I now suspect that the starter gear is not always retracting when starting and that the gear may be rubbing against the flexplate. Will pull the starter next week and check

·
Registered
930 Posts
You can also listen using a 3 foot long section of heater hose....it will work like a steth a scope while listening. Maybe it would also be a good idea to pull the rear valve cover and take quick peek to see if they are oiling.....maybe even fire it up a a short time to see if the noise is in that area....... And the rockers are oiling....... Jake

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just pulled the oil pan and it was filled with thick black oil and some chunks of stuff in the bottom but the pickup looked good and the only movement in the rod bearings is slight side to side which is ok. So now it's down to exhaust leak, lifter or valve. I am gonna try some nice synthetic oil and see if it fixes the sound as a lifter issue.
Be careful using synthetic oil if the car has not been on that oil type for a wile. Synthetic oil is GOOD but it does have a pretty high cleansing action while in use. If you have a higher mileage engine, the synthetic oil will cut thru any "gunky oil build up" inside the block&heads. Synthetic oil will cut thru this build up but the residue can end up in the oil pan and begin to PLUG UP THE OIL PICK UP SCREEN/TUBE............ This can cause lots of internal oiling problems!! Mr Good wrench.......

41 - 54 of 54 Posts