3800Pro Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I really didn't have time to do that much work today and I just want to get the car on the road. There is no lack in performance, the tick just annoys the hell out of me. Maybe another few oil changes I will get back in there and take a look at the bearings since it's not all that hard to take the oil pan off.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
good to hear. kinda doesnt sound like internal problem. but i have heard the same noise and your video almost makes me 100% sure it the exhaust. if it was an internal problem it would be a bit more spread out. because it would make the sound when it was opening and closing the valve or something. the sound i hear sounds like a leak on what i bleave is the rear bank. youll be releaved to get it all fixed up. good luck.
So today I took off, checked and replaced my header gasket and there were no signs of a leak anywhere around them. Now that I got it all back together the ticking noise is even louder. So now I am worried it is a lifter or something and I don't know what to do. I mean there is no sign of a failed lifter in the performance of the engine or oil pressure. Could it just be noise from one?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I never noticed a performance loss when my lifters started to fail, or a noticeable change in oil pressure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thanks for saying that. that is exactly the answer I couldn't get out of anyone before when I asked about lifters elsewhere. that could be bad then cuz I don't feel like tearing into the engine again quite yet. How bad is it to let it go for a bit? Could it destroy the engine?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine had a slow fail, and started off really quiet. I let them go for a nice 20,000mi before I did anything about it. Yours sounds pretty bad compared to what mine were. I'm not sure if it can destroy the engine, but the way mine went, it left almost like a glitter in my oil. Did you see anything like that when you changed your oil?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I didn't see anything in the oil like that when I changed it not too long ago but I haven't really driven it since. I may run it a bit and change the oil early to see. Before I rebuilt the engine the lifters were fine. There was no ticking noise at all, but the gaskets were blown to hell as well as the UIM and LIM. I keep wondering if any debris got in the lifter before I dropped in the pushrods or maybe could a bad or wrongly placed pushrod be making the noise too?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yea I got under the car near the flex and it just sounds like exhaust. The oil pressure gauge show just over 40 on the dash. Oil level looked ok but it's also the first oil the new rockers and springs and everything have seen. Could there just be an oil hole blocked by a lifter possibly?
Ignore my most recent post, that was the first time the lifters failed, which was a different story. I've recently had a similar problem with new lifters and new heads put on.

Mine only ticked that loud for about 5min before the lifter primed. Pull your valve covers, and start your engine to see if oil is going up all the pushrods. I would do one valve cover at a time. For me one pushrod on the passenger side was deprived of oil, so I took 1/2 a pint of Seafoam, and poured it on over that head, and made sure a good amount went in around that one pushrod. I let it sit for about an hour, and started it up. It ticked for about 20 seconds and then it was gone. I drove the car around for rest of the night, about 50mi, and let it sit over night again. The next morning when I started it, it ticked about 10-15 times then went silent. Drove the car around the block to heat up the oil then changed it. It's been quiet ever since. I think one of the holes in the lifter was partially plugged with carbon which lead to the ticking in just one lifter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ok thanks I will check the pushrod and stuff again and maybe pull the rockers and pushrods completely and take a look at them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My pushrod was clear, it was the lifter not getting oil. I think something was in the lifter hole, like you think what may have happened to you. If you can't pin it down to one lifter, put a fair amount of seafoam around all the pushrods and see what happens. It was the best $10 I ever spent.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ok I may have to try that then. Hopefully it's just debris stuck in there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd say it's worth a shot. You can reuse the valve cover gaskets, so all it would cost would be new oil and Seafoam.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would replace the flex asap!!!! This poor guy is going to rip his car apart for nothing!!!!!! RULE OUT THE EXHAUST FIRST!!!!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I would replace the flex asap!!!! This poor guy is going to rip his car apart for nothing!!!!!! RULE OUT THE EXHAUST FIRST!!!!!!!
Believe me... I would really really like to believe it is the flex pipe making this noise, but the noise is loud as hell at idle and everything. I don't even have the exhaust hooked up past the flex section and I can't hear the click under the car. All the exhaust parts are still boxed an in my trunk. The farther away I get from the valve cover the quieter it gets. Also I will probably have to rip the car apart again to get the rear header off to replace the flex and I had a bitch of a time trying to get it back on the other day when I changed the gasket. Does the flex section really make that clicking noise at idle and when the car is in park?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Believe me... I would really really like to believe it is the flex pipe making this noise, but the noise is loud as hell at idle and everything. I don't even have the exhaust hooked up past the flex section and I can't hear the click under the car. All the exhaust parts are still boxed an in my trunk. The farther away I get from the valve cover the quieter it gets. Also I will probably have to rip the car apart again to get the rear header off to replace the flex and I had a bitch of a time trying to get it back on the other day when I changed the gasket. Does the flex section really make that clicking noise at idle and when the car is in park?
it you do have the flex swapped out make SURE that where the end of the Flex section is at the same angle as when it was stock. Learn from my mistake. and as for the rear exhaust use turn buckles to rock the motor forward and drop the cradle 2 bolt on the rear cradle and lower it a bit. if that doesn't give enough clearance just loosen the front bolts a bit and that will give you more room.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My tech and I didnt believe it could do that either. Really weird. I would check it out for sure before you go to tear it apart. Wrap it in exhaust wrap to test.;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What brand of flex is that in the pic?
It is the original flex on the SSAC headers. I haven't touched it yet.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My tech and I didnt believe it could do that either. Really weird. I would check it out for sure before you go to tear it apart. Wrap it in exhaust wrap to test.;)
Do you think it would help to figure out if the sound is the flex pipe if I were to put a piece of cardboard around the downpipe before the flex and see if I still hear it in the engine bay? Cuz I think if everyone is right about it being the flex I am hearing the noise echo off the firewall and back of the engine possibly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
it you do have the flex swapped out make SURE that where the end of the Flex section is at the same angle as when it was stock. Learn from my mistake. and as for the rear exhaust use turn buckles to rock the motor forward and drop the cradle 2 bolt on the rear cradle and lower it a bit. if that doesn't give enough clearance just loosen the front bolts a bit and that will give you more room.
I have no clearance issues with the rear exhaust. The crossover pipe and headers don't fit perfectly so getting all the header bolts to line up is a time consuming process for someone with patience.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would wrap it in exhaust wrap. If it is the ssac flex i would go all in its the flex!!!!!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts