3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 GTP makes a fairly loud ticking noise when it's first started. My first thought was lifter noise, but it seems to go away after the car warms up. Could it be an exhaust leak that goes away after the engine and exhaust get warmed up? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Is it a ticking or more of a rattling? If rattling, could be the Idle Air control bypassing. Normal when cold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more of a ticking..I can hear it from outside the car. When my wife first starts the car I can hear it and then if she drives away I can still hear it as she drives off.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy all,

Cold start rattles are a rarity with these engines, particularly in stock configuration. A bleeding lifter, or exhaust leak are possible. Piston slap is also a possibility.
I recommend having a professional observe this noise, as the above scenarios are time consuming to diagnose. An adept engine tech may be able to identify the noise quickly, and make some recommendations.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably take it back to the shop that installed this rebuilt engine. If it's an internal problem, it's still under warrenty. If not, maybe they can locate the cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts