3800Pro Forums banner

Theoretical weight reduction

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Turbocharged400sbc 
#1 ·
What do you think my car would run if I were approximately 500 -700 lbs lighter? Race weight is around 3500 lbs now.

#2 · (Edited)
an good rule of thumb is 100lbs= ~0.1s reduction in your 1/4 time this vary's though so ~0.5s

Regards, James

Edit: if ya think about it...the 442's engines only see ~2200lbs each
i cant wait till we hit 300Hp each engine...

#4 ·
If you need help on what to remove and how to remove it I can give you a little help. I took off 370 lbs for IDD and there was still a bunch of things I didn't do that I could have done.

#5 ·
Thanks for the offer of help Dave :)
It was just a theoretical question though, I'm not into the gutting my car to make it faster. No disrespect meant ;)
I'll do it the old fashioned way- Brute Horsepower :icon_redf

#6 ·
John F said:
Thanks for the offer of help Dave :)
It was just a theoretical question though, I'm not into the gutting my car to make it faster. No disrespect meant ;)
I'll do it the old fashioned way- Brute Horsepower :icon_redf
Heres a thought for you then.

My best full weight was a 14.599 with a 1.967 60'

for IDD I removed 370lbs of weight which according to the theory that should equal .37 ET reduction.

At IDD on my best run my 60' was a 1.864 which should equal .2 ET reduction over the above time

so now Im at a 14.399

if you subtract the .37 for the weight reduction theoretically that should bring my time down to a 14.029

I ran a 14.028 so whoever came up with this theory on weight reduction gains and how much you gain with 60's was pretty damn accurate.

I'd say you would run a 11.05 if you removed 500lbs

#9 ·
Watch out Dave.. I just got a Rottweiler to jog with me while I work on getting the N/A setup in the 12's. She's going to help me drop an extra 20-30lbs I hope. :icon_lol:

#10 ·
Dont forget the added benefit of less stress on the rest of the components with a lighter overall weight.

You would run a low 11 taking 500lbs off the car. 500 isnt easy to take off. The first 300 isnt too bad. as yyou take more off, it starts to cost more money and more work. seats, exhaust, skinnies etc... only get you the easy weight #'s. ABS delete, lighter brakes, alum cradle, coilovers, no HVAC etc... egts tougher.

#11 · (Edited)
GTPMORAD said:
Dont forget the added benefit of less stress on the rest of the components with a lighter overall weight.
there's the main idea behind the 442...4330lbs sounds heavy for even a twin engine car...but when ya think about it as two 2200lb cars...the benifits are pretty obvious when you take into account that it has a full interior with thermal/noise insulation

now we just need more power....thank heaven for turbochargers:)

i wonder what are the weights of some of the lighter W's one here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.