3800Pro Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Very cool. I'd consider doing a manual s/c build with my MP112 setup someday. Not quite as much power, but the torque would be very hard on parts, so it'd be necessary.

Glad you got to have fun at the event, and the dyno charts look fairly clean aside from the issues. Good work, keep it up.
Thanks! Yeah, if I ever got another 3800 to build it would get the Camaro's L36 short block, the TKX, and a supercharger. It would be a much more stick friendly combination. Then the Camaro would get an L67 bottom end with an automatic. I can't have it all though. My small garage space really limits my builds to what I currently have, and that's probably for the best!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was serious about the AC project. While my methods are a bit crude, my will power is strong!

After taking the best parts from each box and making one good one I cut the good one up to fit a universal evaporator
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Tool Chainsaw

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Black Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Working animal

Motor vehicle Grille Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

At this point the evaporator "fit" where I wanted it, but there were obviously a lot of issues going on. The blend door couldn't swing it's full motion, the recirculation valve didn't fit at all, and there are gaping holes where unwanted air can enter, and blown air can escape.

Here's the biggest hole mostly addressed.
Grille Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire

I plastic welded another hole shut where the recirculation valve mounts.
Air gun Automotive tire Finger Aluminum can Tin

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

Wood Grey Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Done! Not pretty, but strong. Nobody will be looking at it anyway.
Hood Guitar accessory Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey

Automotive tire Tread Tire Fender Gas

After smoothing the rough welds and some careful cutting of the recirc. valve everything fits again. I'll probably put a little RTV or a door seal along this modification just to make sure it doesn't howl or whistle when the blower is on.
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

Then there's the blend door issue. It hit the evaporator when it was directed too far toward the hot position.
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Gas

The door got cut just enough to clear, but then big holes were left on each end of the spectrum. I plastic welded some flaps on to make up the difference.
Rectangle Wood Road surface Floor Flooring

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Gas

Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Composite material

Wood Gas Machine Engineering Hardwood

A little super glue to hold the remains of the blend door seal should be enough to keep this working. With all these fixes, I think I'm done with plastic work. The rest is fiberglassing, aluminum welding and sealing. I look forward to being done with this part of the project. At the same time, I'm not looking forward to pulling the dash apart again!

Speaking of having cool parts but not wanting to work on my car, I went on a road trip to Pittsburg to buy some stuff.
Motor vehicle Military camouflage Machine gun Shotgun Air gun

Disregard the M90. I don't see myself doing anything with that, but it came with some IS3 heads. 😎 If I can really bust ass and finish some of the other things this car needs first, I'm hoping to start a cam/heads swap this winter.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts