3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you wanted to use, the "play" button to switch somthing other then "play"?
I'm not sure how to do this? I want this to be on the streering wheel, and useing a stock button is a nice steathy plus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am pretty sure that all the buttoms share a common wire. I am guessing that each button has a different resistor value and when it is pushed, it provides a different voltage to the radio which decodes it and performs the appropriate action. I am not 100% on this one though.

A friend of mine has an Aurora and he tried splicing into the wire going to his radio to put in a modulator to work with an aftermarket deck. His car also has heater controls on the steering wheel which are processed by the radio, also the clock for his DLC is in his radio so he mounted his old radio under the dash and just spliced into the remote wire, but what would happen is some buttons didn't work and the some would perform other functions, like mute would change the fan speed. I am guessing this was because the remote modulator drew some of the current so the original radio saw a different current and thought a different button was pushed.

So if you wanted to do this, you wouuld probably have to take the steering wheel apart and solder your own wires on the switch and make sure its not on the circuit with the other buttons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You would need to build a voltage (window) comparator. What happens is lets say the volume up takes 5v. So the comparator would wait til it sees 5v and close the proper relay to do the function you wanted. That is a very simplified explaination but you get the picture. I used my cruise controls in my 1988 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe to operate my radio for IASCA shows. I used a relay to switch between cruise and radio functions and had an led in the instrument cluster to show what function I was using.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw a wiring diagram for the steering wheel the other day when I was working on wiring up my Beretta. My friend has a bunch of factory service manuals with diagrams. It was pretty much what i said, each button has a different resistor value, you'd have to hack into the steering wheel to hook up to one of the buttons. I'd scan the diagram, but the books at his house and i'm down here at school and he's off to school too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts