3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently Intercooled the car, and I have heard of guys running no stat at all. Is this okay? Can I do this? I have been running a drilled 160* stat for some time now. Would this be beneficial to me?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
IMHO, running without a Tstat is a bad thing. But, I'm sure there are those here who would disagree...?

·
Registered
238 Posts
1Hot97 said:
IMHO, running without a Tstat is a bad thing. But, I'm sure there are those here who would disagree...?
i agree with 1hot97 running no tstat is a bad idea, and i wouldnt do it, this topic has been discussed on club gp before, but i cant remeber the exact reason why, but dont do it IMHO

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always heard that without a tstat the water travels too fast through the cooling system. And it doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to effectively cool down.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No thermostat is a bad idea.
Your gas milage will suffer and incresed engine surface wear will result, especialy in the cylinders. Engine tollerances are designed for a hot (running engine), not a cold or warm state.
As I recall, the PCM runs on diferent fuel tables durring warm up and does not allow OD or the TCC to engage untll the temp is up. You would be running on these all the time since it would never really warm up.

Aditionaly, the crank case will mostlikely never really get very hot and you will accumulate water vapor... It will condense and mix with the motor oil rather than being held in a vapor state and be vacuumed off by the PVC valve. (milky looking oil sludge)
In other words... don't do it.

·
Banned
6 Posts
T stat

1Hot97 said:
I feel that if your running no T- stat its not a daily driven car. If you dont drive your car daily or just run no t-stat at the track I wouldnt see what that would hurt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts