3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using sythetic oil in their sc vehicles? I am considering switching to sythetic and want to know if anyone has had any problems. I have heard that you should use 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. I live in NJ so the temps can vary from single digits to high 90's. Any recommendations?
thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use it. Syth is more temp stable froma viscosity standpoint. I wouldn't think changing would make much difference. I run 10w30.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have a sc vehicle but I just switched to synthetic in my 99 Camaro and have had no problems. Owners manual says you can use 5w-30 if you live somewhere that the temp can drop below 0. 10w-30 other times.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
No, not bad. The 5W indicates it's flow characteristics when cold, the 30 indicates hot. So, when it's cold outside the oil doesn't flow like molassas

·
Registered
187 Posts
1Hot97 said:
No, not bad. The 5W indicates it's flow characteristics when cold, the 30 indicates hot. So, when it's cold outside the oil doesn't flow like molassas
Sythetic will not flow differently anyway. It is much more temperature stable than regular oils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
02GTP said:
I run 5W-30 Synthetic year-round, is that bad? I live in NY. :confused:
I have talked to people who run 5w-30 year around and they don't experience any issues.

I just do the 5w-30 winter, 10w-30 spring/summer thing because that is what the owners manual suggests and I figure you can't go wrong follwing the manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think this spring/summer I will to run 10W-30 like the manual says. I was just wondering if it made a difference because it was synthetic. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Gm spec'd 10w30 because there were complaints of ring wear on older motors. This was to help with that problem on high milage engines.

·
Registered
441 Posts
10w-30 synthetic should flow good year round, I doubt the weight difference would make much difference either way.
I've had zero problems with synthetic oil for the past 65,000 miles...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts