3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 grand prix GTP that I'm looking to replace the power steering system on. I have the Magnasteer, but my EBCM module is dead so it's not working. I plan on putting the non assisted rack in. I know the only difference between the racks is the actuator, and the lines look the same. Does anyone know if there are any differences other than the actuator? Based on what I've seen, I should just be able to order the lines and rack for the non assisted system and put it in. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Thanks,
Josiah

·
Administrator
1,317 Posts
I think you'll be fine running the GT/SE style rack. That seems like the only one readily available most places online right now, anyways. Magnasteer is a nice feature, but with ABS being the controller for it, rather than the PCM's reading of the VSS on the trans output, it's prone to all those ABS failure issues (typically broken hub wire, but sometimes module... dealt with both on my GXP).

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'll be ordering everything pretty soon and update with how the install goes. And yeah, I couldn't even find a rack with the assist. And I'm pretty sure it's the module bc I have no communication with the serial data circuit. The pcm is outputting but at the module and past its reading 5 volts. As I understand it, GM serial circuits use 5 volts at rest, and pulls voltage to 0 for comms. But I'm not too concerned about that, I'm just trying to get the chassis ready to support some future engine work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts