3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys here's my situation.
I bought some ported heads (look great!) and they came assembled with 130# valve springs on them. Seeing as i'm only running the original S1 cam (w/ 1.75rockers) i already have 105# springs on my car.
I have swapped valve springs before with the heads on the car (compressed air and such) but seeing as this is my winter project with some other things (porting etc etc) i won't be putting the heads back on for a little while. Can I swap the springs while the heads are off the car? IF so is there anything I should be careful of?

Thanks guys

Jason

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes, the correct way is to use the proper valve spring compressor tool. It looks like a large c-clamp. Another option is you could use the screw-down type of compressor. I think using the pry-bar type would be rather difficult to use, since the head is not secured to anything. If you use the screw-down type, make sure the valves don't fall out, or you could damage them. A final option is to bolt them to the block, then swap the springs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JasonGS said:
Yes, the correct way is to use the proper valve spring compressor tool. It looks like a large c-clamp. Another option is you could use the screw-down type of compressor. I think using the pry-bar type would be rather difficult to use, since the head is not secured to anything. If you use the screw-down type, make sure the valves don't fall out, or you could damage them. A final option is to bolt them to the block, then swap the springs.
I prefer to use the screw down type compressor. how would i go about making sure the valves don't drop? could i have rags or something piled beneath the head to stop it from falling and damaging it?

Thanks Jason

Jason

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah, that method should work just fine. My point was make sure that the valves you are working on aren't hanging over the edge of the work bench.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just used an overhead valve spring compressor, and with the head in my lap, took off each spring. The spring compressor was only like $8 at sears.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i just wanted to make sure that it was cool to do them with them off the car. I like to make 100% clear what i'm going to do is ok before i try it, i'm anal that way.
thanks guys!
Jason

·
Registered
105 Posts
Really doesnt matter if the valves fall out, but yes, rags in the CCs keep them in their guides without issue, except possibly getting little strings caught in the valves, and you can pull those out if you just push the valves open a little, if my 140lb ass can do it with a pry bar style compressor, you can too im sure :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts