3800Pro Forums banner

swapping intake manifolds

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dezldave961 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 monte carlo ss its got the 3800 series 2 motor in it with fwd trans and i was wondering if the intake manifold and plenum were interchangable with the ones on a 4th gen camaro or fbody. I was trying to take them off an 01 camaro i got Both engines are 3800 series 2s non supercharged and look identical besides the intake and actual placement of the engine because the camaros got rwd. If anyone knows or done anything like this pls let me know thx

#3 ·
The swap is possible, and a few turbo guys have done it, but it takes some work to convert things. The throttle body will need to be adapted or a pre-1999 F-body (went electronic for 99-02), and the thermostat housing/coolant hose would need to have some changes to fit connect to the original system. I don't recall if there's any other interference near the accessory belt, but the battery will be in the way for a non-turbo setup.

Check out jdredd34's turbo build on the forums or YouTube, since he cleared out the engine bay space to see things easier. Here's a post he made with some info/pics on the forums for Grand National guys: https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/turbo-3800-greetings-pic-heavy.405455/
(you can tell they removed a ton of things, and space for the intake tubing wasn't an issue with just a turbo pipe and the battery lowered)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.