3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

My 1988 Electra suffered a piston ejection, and needs a new engine. I've taken junking the car off the table, as it simply holds too much intangible value. The now-dead engine is a Pre-Series 1 3800, n.a. That said, I have access to a Series III n.a. 3800 from a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I know this engine has been properly maintained and has no current mechanical issues, so that postpones the risk of new engine failure for now. Also, since the Electra's transmission is getting worn down (gear slippage, clunking, etc.,) I think replacing it with the Pontiac's is worth it if I'm doing this type of work already.

What are some things I need to consider for this swap? The four areas that I can see going horribly wrong with this is electronics/ECU compatibility between the '06 engine and '88 body, engine/transmission mount compatibility, axle connection compatibility, and fuel pressure compatibility. My coolant system is intact, and I know a guy that does exhaust work. I also plan on getting an after-market air intake for the Series III, so I don't need to worry about airflow compatibility.

If anyone can provide information about these four issues, or any other concerns that I have missed, please enlighten me. I will post a reply here when the project is done to tell y'all how it went.

·
Registered
65 Posts
series III into 88 Electra

Well, that should be an interesting challenge!
Do you have the harness and ECM from the Pontiac? That would handle the engine and trans control - including the drive-by-wire throttle and such.
I have no idea if the data protocols match on the body side - if the BCM can talk to the 06 ecm.
Seems like another approach would be to use a cable throttle assy (03 or earlier) and make the motor look like the 88 in terms of sensors. But that leaves the trans question - and rebuilding the 88 trans might be a lot easier than making the 06 ecm talk to the 88 body.
Maybe not, but food for thought...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts