3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious if anyone has information or tips. I am thinking about swapping my current 3.1 to a 3.8 I have a 2001 pontiac grand prix SR I know that the motor mounts line up what I'm curious about is if I would need to get the wire harness from a GTP also is the sensors for the supercharger? Any tips or advice would be awesome!!!

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
Best option is getting the full harness with an engine swap, because the location/length/connector types for the harness are not going to be similar enough for a quick swap. You'll need the PCM and fuse box panel for the proper setup of fuses and signals to/from the various engine electronics.

If this car is very clean, and you're willing to have it down for a few weeks/months as you chip away at learning the details of the swap, go for it. If you would be better off getting ahold of a clean 3800 car, even 3800SC to start, since they've gotten as cheap as most used engine/sc/HD transmissions from junkyards, I'd lean that way for a quicker/cleaner path to the goal. Each has its merits, depending on how much you want to do/learn vs. how soon you want to be making loud noises on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a very clean SE i am prepared for a lot of work ahead I'm going to be renting a storage unit to work on the car in as well my current engine is still fine it has alot it miles tho like 180,000 small lifter tick but been that way since I bought it and I have out 10,000 miles on it as well tick ain't got worse yet lol but figure it's going to go soon and I've always wanted a GTP but there a little pricey around here building one would be a little cheaper on my end and teach me some things I don't know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts