3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

On my '98 Regal GS, the S/C is making a bit of a rattling noise sounds like coming from mainly the area where the snout meets the body. I just replaced the S/C oil hoping that it would help, but no change. I have searched and read that it could be bad/loose coupling bearings or whatever they are called, so I was gonna look into doing those, but I found a '02 GTP at the local Pick n Pull and I was bored so I decided to remove the S/C and have a look at what it looked like on the inside. I stashed it in another car so I could go back to it later. Was gonna go grab it for the $130 or whatever it costs because that one felt relatively tight and no noises. Would it be worth it to get that unit and Swap it in? Doesn't seem that bad a job... or replace the parts on the original?

My thoughts were to get the one from PnP and swap it by taking out the original, and while I'm in there, do the coolant elbowsv and the intake gaskets because the car is leaking oil like a sieve. I will have to get all the gaskets and see how difficult it would be. I have to address that leak sometime because it's quite bad.

Should I swap the new one in or no? Or wait til a Gen V shows up? haha
Should I just rebuild the original? I can always do that too and have the spare if needed. That way I can take my time to rebuild one while the other is in the car.

I also am grabbing the related accessories and fuel injectors and gonna clean them well and use them when I do the swap so I will have some nice clean injectors to go in when I put it back together.

Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey all,

On my '98 Regal GS, the S/C is making a bit of a rattling noise sounds like coming from mainly the area where the snout meets the body. I just replaced the S/C oil hoping that it would help, but no change. I have searched and read that it could be bad/loose coupling bearings or whatever they are called, so I was gonna look into doing those, but I found a '02 GTP at the local Pick n Pull and I was bored so I decided to remove the S/C and have a look at what it looked like on the inside. I stashed it in another car so I could go back to it later. Was gonna go grab it for the $130 or whatever it costs because that one felt relatively tight and no noises. Would it be worth it to get that unit and Swap it in? Doesn't seem that bad a job... or replace the parts on the original?

My thoughts were to get the one from PnP and swap it by taking out the original, and while I'm in there, do the coolant elbowsv and the intake gaskets because the car is leaking oil like a sieve. I will have to get all the gaskets and see how difficult it would be. I have to address that leak sometime because it's quite bad.

Should I swap the new one in or no? Or wait til a Gen V shows up? haha
Should I just rebuild the original? I can always do that too and have the spare if needed. That way I can take my time to rebuild one while the other is in the car.

I also am grabbing the related accessories and fuel injectors and gonna clean them well and use them when I do the swap so I will have some nice clean injectors to go in when I put it back together.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Try to change the coupler inside the supercharger this is mostly the problem if you have a rattling noise.
The other things have nothing to do with the rattling but its good to do these on the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts