3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the fix for removing the key from the ignition after car is in park. 01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Please help.:icon_cry:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had that happen to a GMC truck around the same year of your car. Had to pull the main fuse out from under the hood and lock the doors because the key would not come out. Ended up being the tumbler came apart. Had to take it all apart. The dealer cad everything I needed to put it back together (so I could keep the same key.)

·
Registered
852 Posts
From the way you described the problem, you are more than likely going to need a new Key and Tumbler(the piece the KEY goes into). You will have to remove some of the lower dash plastic trim, the steering wheel, and the trim around the upper steering column where the ignition switch is. There is a wire harness that is part of the switch which will also come out when the switch is pulled. I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU UNHOOK THE BATTERY DURING THIS PROCEEDUER. There probably an upper steering column bracket that may need to be removed while pulling these pieces out for replacement. Also, take care when removing the plastic shrouding around the upper column.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!! Jake (and take note of all the screws and nuts that hold all this stuff in place)......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts