3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Moving on to the next bit of my rebuilding of a 98 gtp (transmission and engine bugs seem to be worked out), I am now going to start to tackle the suspension. My suspicions are that everything is indeed shot, everything feels like a three foot pot hole and there is a lot of gliding and drifting.
My first question for everyone is what kind of setup are you running? I'm particularly interested in struts and springs specifically, but everything else would be good to know. i have narrowed my strut choices down to the kyb gr2's or the agx's. I am leaning toward the gr2s because i would like to reuse the stock springs,which leads me to my next question...
Other than a bounce teat and a visual inspection for cracking or chipping, how can I determine if the springs need to or should be replaced? If I do have to replace the springs I will most likely lower the car and go with the agx struts.
Any input would be great I have found so far that everyone on here seems to be much more knowledgeable than me haha.

P.s. any advice on suspension checking and replacing would be great, including quality parts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you plan to go with lowering springs you need to ask yourself how low you want to go.

If you want a minimal drop where the car still rides good then look into vogtlands. With these springs you can get away using GR2's since the drop is about an inch. My brother is running this set up on his and it rides good.

If you plan to keep stock springs then just get GR2 replacements. If the springs have started to sag in the rear, rear springs from an intrigue will raise the rear back up and level it out.

I advise you to replace the strut mounts as well. I would go with monroe mounts.

Are you planning to change out the sway bars and trailing arms?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I plan on replacing the sway bars but have not given much thought to the trailer arms. I guess I should now start looking into that. I would prefer to not lower the car however an inch would not be a big deal but would be my cutoff. I plan to replace mounts as well as seats, while I'm in should I do the bearings as well? Also, I noticed you said your brother can get away with gr2s with the springs you mentioned. Would agx's be preferable?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The reason I mentioned sway bars is because it's pretty common for the stock one to break. Especially those that are in areas where it's snows due to the rust build up.

When you start looking into other pieces just post up again.

As far as the struts, agx's are supposed to handle lowering springs better since they are adjustable. I don't have experience with agx's so I can't really compare the two. But the lower one goes on GR2's, the faster the spring will wear. My brother's ride good still but he does mostly highway driving.

But if you stay stock height then just get the GR2's. As I was saying earlier, the rear springs tend to sag on these cars and a set of intrigue springs will raise the rear end back up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts