3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 buick regal LS with the 3800 naturally aspirated. What happens is once the engine gets warmed up, i get a squeal coming from the engine. The squeal sound like a belt slipping or a bearing going out. I have replaced the belt, the belt tensioner, the alternator, and the water pump. This is the oddest part of my problem, when i take off the oil fill cap or remove the dip stick, the squeal goes away completely. I put in a new pcv valve and it still does it. If you put your hand over the oil fill spout with the cap removed, i have manifold vacuum in the valve covers! This problem does not affect the driveability of my car. Also, the squeal is intermittent. Some days it's there, other days it's not. I am at a dead end. If anybody has any suggestions they would be greatly appeciated!

·
Registered
849 Posts
strange squealing

Check the PCV again making sure the "O ring" is still there for it and not damaged and recheck for the correct PCV valve.

Good luck, Jake L.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
do you notice if it goes away when you turn on the AC. thats what's happing in my car turn AC sound goes away turn if off it comes back.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak or a crankcase pressurization problem. As was already stated, check the PCV O ring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the a/c doesn't affect the squeal. whenever i get some time i will take a look at my pcv valve and see if the gasket is present and will let everybody know if squeal is still present. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my pcv gasket was there. i replaced it and the squeal is still there. Anybody have any other ideas? Some people say that it could be the infamous intake gaskets? i sprayed some brake clean around the intake while the engine was running (and squealing by the way) and it kept on squealing. the engine never sped up so i don't think that the intake is leaking. but the car does have about 181,000 miles on it and i bought it at 145,000 and don't know if intake gaskets were ever changed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem has been solved! PCV retainer had hairline crack in it! Replaced it and motor runs like new! Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank goodness for this forum post!!!

Hey all, new member here. Thank you everyone who suggested the PCV valve. I have a 1999 Olds 88 with the 3800, and I have had the damn squeal for 2 years, after replacing belts, and almost ready to start on replacing the alternator, then the pulleys, then God knows what...til I read this forum! Brought the car to the reapir shop, told the mech to replace the PCV and the o ring. He laughed an told me it wouldnt solve the prob. I told him hey, it's the cheapest place to start. So, 1 month and absolutely no squeal issues later, I'm happy as ever. Also, don't know if these are related, but I had an oil leak prior to the repair, which has since stopped, and I believe I'm getting a lil better gas mileage! Anyway, thank you to the geniuses here for saving my wallet and my sanity!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to help anyone that comes across this thread as i did when my 2000 regal supercharged started making the same noise. On the supercharged engine the pcv valve is on the back of the supercharger and not the front of the intake manifold. I thought my supercharger bearings were going bad maybe. It is the pcv valve making the noise and I had the excessive crankcase vacuum issue. Replaced the pcv valve and did not solve the problem. I also had a code for a cylinder four misfire. Turns out the intake manifold gasket blew out between the cylinder four intake runner and the oil drain port. This is especially dangerous in the supercharged cars because your crankcase pressure will now mirror the intake manifold pressure. So when you are making boost it will blow your engine oil out the valve cover gaskets onto the exhaust manifolds and start a fire. Luckily i was pulling in my driveway and put the fire out before any damage resulted. Be careful out there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts