3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my sob story...im the 18 year old owner of a 3800 buick regal GS 1998..everything is stock...One day i started my car and i noticed a knocking and was confused where it came from. i found out it was coming from the supercharger. i looked on forms and found out my cupler is no longer good...so i ordered the parts but they are going to take a while to get here...so in the mean time i took off my supercharger belt to stop and further damage that "could" happen..the car started fine an ran great..but i dont know if it the lack of boost or air flow...but the car just doesn't feel right when accelerating...but here is my question as the title states...could removing the supercharger belt damage or suffocate the motor?

thanks...from a newbie

The noise from the motor stoped when i took the supercharger belt off

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Open your mouth and take a deep breath... Do the same thing but this time put your hand in front of it and only open your fingers a bit. Same thing with a non functioning charger. Your gas mileage will SUFFER horribly and your computer will be confused but no, you're not going to kill the engine. Stay off the throttle. Did the noise stop when you removed the belt?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I ran mine without a belt for a couple days, around 300+ miles on it, mpg down a small amount, power down a lot, but it can't hurt anything, but don't try to race anything short of a Geo Metro.... You won't do well....

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I've known folks that ran six months w/o a belt. It's cool, and yeah..less power because your power adder isn't hooked up. ;)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
That's good. At least you know it is your charger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive never known a worn coupler to be so dangerous that you cant drive on it. All I've read is that the OEM units wear out but never "break" persay. Is yours really that bad?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ive never known a worn coupler to be so dangerous that you cant drive on it.
It's not dangerous to drive with a worn coupler, it best that it is replaced as soon as possible though. All the coupler does is absorb the shock in the drive of supercharger when you accelerate.

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FastS6x....Im a newbie on this and my chager was making this noise that sound like rocks shaking or banging inside my charger, You dont have to be a pro to know thats a bad thing, I found it to be my cupler. I took the belt off and the rocks stoped. i thought to prevent any chance of damage, id just keep the charger belt off, i was just wondering if a charger without a belt is a bad idea. I replaced my cupler and its all good now:icon_surp

·
Registered
41 Posts
FastS6x....Im a newbie on this and my chager was making this noise that sound like rocks shaking or banging inside my charger, You dont have to be a pro to know thats a bad thing, I found it to be my cupler. I took the belt off and the rocks stoped. i thought to prevent any chance of damage, id just keep the charger belt off, i was just wondering if a charger without a belt is a bad idea. I replaced my cupler and its all good now:icon_surp
Oh I understand, I was just wondering the degree of damage your coupler had thats all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts