3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 Pontiac GP, 3800 Gen II with about 100k miles. The throttle sticks closed initially, especially when it has been sitting cold. Tap the throttle and it unsticks. I'm sure it is the throttle butterfly since I had a similar problem on a '95 Bonneville. What causes this and can it be fixed?
Thanks,
DJ

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
More than likely you have deposits in the throttle body. Get some good quality T/B spray cleaner and clean the inside of the T/B.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If the plate was removed at one time this can happen if the throttle set screw hasn't been readjusted. It can close too much and stick when it's cold, or damp out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a cursory look at the throttle mechanism prior to posting my original message and didn' t notice any setscrews. Where would it be located exactly? How far open should the throttle plate be set?
Thanks,
DJ

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you look a the front of the TB head on, in the lower right hand corner you'll see a set screw with a locking nut. The set screw is a T10 Torx, and the locking nut is 8mm. It has thread locker on it, so it's going to be tough to budge. You'll need to turn it in a little and check it out. It doesn't set the idle speed, that's handled by the IAC, but it will raise the idle if turned in too much and you will set a high idle DTC as a result. However, it can be turned in quite a bit before that happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts