3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 oldsmobile royale 88
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to get the step by step instructions on how to change a timing chain on a 1990 oldsmobile royale 88 and the list of tools needed for the job and all other information need to do the job correctly
It has the 3800 series one motor
In it
Email me the information at [email protected] or text me at 4173894919

·
Registered
17 Posts
This video here may be helpful to you. It doesn't show the whole job or the tools, but it's a start. His car is an '89 Buick LeSabre, but it should be close enough to your make / model. The video does give a pretty good view of the setup pretty much mid-way through tear-down.

Here's a link to the Haynes repair manual for your vehicle. It has pretty good info that should help you out as well.
Haynes Manuals® 19020 - Repair Manual

Lastly, according to Wikipedia, your vehicle should have been equipped with the Pre-Series I (LN3) and not the Series I (L27) - unless you or someone you know swapped one in, of course. That said, here's the article where you can find the lists of other vehicles that had the same engine as your car, so that might help you search for other models and makes that used the same engine. (Broaden your search capabilities, basically.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine#Pre-Series_I

It's worth noting that there's a ton of YouTube videos that go through a complete tear-down and replacement of the timing chain on the Series II engine. If memory serves me right, I think the engines are close enough in design that even a Series II video could prove helpful to you. (There will, of course, be variations.)

Good luck!

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
Great reply! That's the same route I would've taken to find that info, as well. Haynes/Chiltons manuals are good resources for slightly older vehicles, especially in that 80's-90's era before OBD2 got going and electronic factory manuals became available.

Reactions: dtcostelloe
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.