3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a copy of the rebuild procedure, like a haynes manual or maybe even factory. We ordered clutches and such from Intense and it should all be here today. Also does anyone know if you can leave the engine in the car or does it have to come out with the tranny. Any advice would rock as I have never rebuilt an automatic transmission before. I have heard they aren't bad but I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
FastFiero said:
Does anyone have a copy of the rebuild procedure, like a haynes manual or maybe even factory. We ordered clutches and such from Intense and it should all be here today. Also does anyone know if you can leave the engine in the car or does it have to come out with the tranny. Any advice would rock as I have never rebuilt an automatic transmission before. I have heard they aren't bad but I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks. :)
I bought an ATSG manual and all it cost was $12. It was really good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree, I also bought that ATSG manual (jcwhitney sells them if you can't find them) and it gives a step by step on teardown and rebuild, plus a full list of the required j-tools, all the torque specs, all the electrical system tests, plus a section about flow through the valvebody. I would highly reccomend this manual.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's a j-tool? More importantly what are they used for and are they expensive? ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
FastFiero said:
What's a j-tool? More importantly what are they used for and are they expensive? ;)
J tools are special tools required to dismantle/rebuild the tranny. They are EXPENSIVE but you could probably buy universal tranny tools that will do the job right for a LOT less.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah, a majority of the tools are more standardized items, such as a magnetic base w/ dial indicator, seal pullers, and others. But just in case, I would budget in a some extra money to buy a couple just in case you couldn't do it with standard trans tools.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We need Big Jeff in here. He does a rebuild with the engine in the car. You can drop the cradle on the drivers side to do it. He just did mine this way. Before I was pulling the motor and then the trans to do it. His method is much easier.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy all,

A.T.S.G manuals are pretty good for rebuilds. You can get them from Transtar among other places. Call 1-800-445-1170 and order direct. J tools are made by Kent-Moore and are for specific procedures of the build. They are pricey yet are mandatory for a successful build.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
47 Posts
BIG JEFF said:
Howdy all,
J tools are made by Kent-Moore and are for specific procedures of the build. They are pricey yet are mandatory for a successful build.

BIG JEFF
I would say RECOMMENDED but NOT MANDITORY. I did a successful rebuild without a SINGLE J-TOOL. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
superchargedgp said:
i dunno man, Jeff knows his stuff and if he says its mandatory i would listen
Don't get me wrong...I WISH I had access to J-tools but I didn't so I went ahead and did it the hard way...it wasn't REALLY hard but with the J-tools I'm pretty sure it would have been considerably easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.