3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i took the plunge tonight and started to tear down the motor to install my ported heads i got from John.

I've got the front valve cover, Ls1 TB, SC, intercooler, coil packs, fuel rails/injectors, alternator all off and now i'm scared..lol..and a little tired.

Tomorrow is the big step of loosening off the front header (slp's) to see what the damage is beneath my stock heads (note: i've bent a plug before). I'm praying for it to turn out ok!

Anyway i had to share as it makes me feel a little more confident that things will be ok somehow.

Cheers

Jason

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bent plugs are not good, in my experience a bent plug was a shattered piston. Now I'm in the process of having an Intense Short block installed. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after fighting a little here and there with the heads i got them off just bnow at 6:36pm.
front bank was a breeze and they were all ok (pistons that is)
the rear was a whore due to the alignment bolt for the rear header as the head bolt is right below it and i somehow lost my 5.5mm socket
anyway i got another one (dont sell that socket individually and brent just messaged me saying he had it lol) and faught a little more with it and i got it off.
well the back 3 were ok too!
I'M SO PUMPED THAT NOTHING WAS WRONG!!!
anyway i'm off to eat some food and relax and ice my back..
good times, now all i need is my gaskets and then it will be re-assembly time!
what a relief.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lucky you!! I bent a spark plug and found this:

That is my #5 piston. I am rebuilding it now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
That's good news Jason!

How do you suppose a spark plug got smashed without a piston being broken?

I don't hve the foggiest but all my pistons were fine too after finding a smashed plug.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can kill a spark plug with out killin a piston. I've done it a VERY few times on a 355 I built (12:1comp.) My friend tried running 89 in it. :/ Detonation is a mean bitch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
if there is no marks on the piston, then only things i could think of would be something wrong with the actual tip and under heat/pressure it basically warped itself... (can that even happen?)

or when i did one of my first plug changes years ago, i was reaching behind the motor with plug putting it my hand so i could feel with my finger where the spark plug hole was... and they way i was holding it, i must of hit it or put just enough pressure on it where i bent the tip down to where it touch... i put it in at first... then for some reason i pulled it back out and relized it was bunged up..

but i dont know how bad your plug was bent up... but your a lucky sob.. :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. INTENSE said:
That's good news Jason!

How do you suppose a spark plug got smashed without a piston being broken?
not sure to behonest...
once i get my camera recharged i'll post some pics of the pistons and such.

Thanks for the support guys

Jas

·
Registered
847 Posts
smooth said:
not sure to behonest...
once i get my camera recharged i'll post some pics of the pistons and such.

Thanks for the support guys

Jas
Jason! thats a small sign of hope for me since I also bend a spark (#3) I hope I didnt chip this piston. :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Damn, my pistons were the same exact way when my old engine went. Isnt it funny how a lot of our motors are blowing pistons the same way? And in the same pattern?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem on #1 piston. Those pics are identical to my number one, and sure enough I bent a plug in that cyclinder 3 times in 2 weeks, and only once was when I was driving the car hard, twice when the car was stock.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here are some pics... excuse the mess i'm a 'novice' mechanic with bad organization...lol.. but i know where everything is as i labeled EVERYTHING that i took out..lol :D

part way through the tear dow...

front bank, that's coolant from removing the heads not pcs missing ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Smooth, Its scary, but exciting at the same time. Isnt it? LOL! Its even more scary when its time to fire it up! LOL!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it was a little more scary at first, but now its smooth sailing so to speak..lol..
gotta get a cam installed before it all goes back together.. probably won't be till after X-mas though due to gifts and such, but its giving me time to paint engine mounts and such...

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had a piston missing about a 2 inch by 4 inch chunk off the side of it and it went down through all the ring lands. Then I had another piston just snap at the wrist pin, wrist pin and part of piston was still attached to the rod when the motor was taken out/apart

1 - 19 of 19 Posts