3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have a 1991 blazer. it has the 4.3 engine. a freind and i are designing a way to use a ford m90 unit on it. can the throttlebody on the supercharger be removed and in place a air intake tube be used. then we want to run the outlet to a intercooler and up to the 4.3 engine throttlebody.

·
Registered
224 Posts
is it just me, or does ford even make an m90, and why would you put it on a chevy? buy a procharger superchager, or a turbo setup, then go to www.BlazerForum.com
and talk to them. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
let me get this straight. You want to use an m90 (off of a SuperCoupe, i'm assuming), run the outlet air through some kind of air to air intercooler, and back into the existing Blazer throttle body? Where exactly do you plan on mounting an m90, that it will line up with the existing serpentine belt and still allow you to have room for piping the air through an intercooler and back to the throttlebody?

You would be 10,000 times better off buying a supercharger kit made for those blazers. It will be less of a nightmare and more cost effective than trying to create your own.

my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ford didnt make it, its an eaton unit. i dont go with the sc's you listed because even used they are expensive. im looking to supercharge at a budget rate. all i want to know is if you take the tb off the supercharger will it make it not work right. there will be a throttlebody on the engine i dont need 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is plenty of room for piping. the supercoupe unit uses a airhat to catch and divert the air into the piping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think you want the Supercharger before the throttle body. Plus if this engine uses a MAF it will likely not work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HTML:
procharger superchager, or a turbo setup
arent these all centrifical? i am yet to see a 4.3 with a roots style blower on it. i know the procharger pipes air to a intercooler then into the tb.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not exactly sure of the reasoning behind it but all m90 setups I've ever seen (ours and the supercoupe) all have the throttle body before the supercharger. I don't really see why it wouldn't work after the s/c and intercooler. The same amount of air flows out of the supercharger as flow into it. So it reasons to think that the throttle body could be anywhere in that system. I'm not sure why the ford engineers decided to put it before, but I'll trust they did it for a reason. I'm not sure what that reason was, it could have just fit better there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats my thought. maybe to meter the air better?? i figure a blow off valve would be a good idea. dont need a maf cause its a tbi unit. so whatever gets in the motor is the good stuff. basically im making a procharger out of a old larger unit. 100 bucks for a used m90 and a few for pipe, intercooler and rebuild and i can have my motor/trans rebuilt for under a procharger cost.

·
Registered
108 Posts
do you plan on putting the m90 on top of the engine like the supercoupe? I had a 92 blazer back in the day (which may be completely different than the 91, i don't know) and it had that huge tall vortec intake on it. I'm still having trouble imagining where to mount the big ass supercharger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we plan on mounting the m90 over the valve cover. so it can use the serp belt. im going electric waterpump so i figure between that and a few extra inches a belt will work no problem. we are going to route to an intercooler in the grill then to the tb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is quite possible. The very first Cougar Eliminator concept car used a remote mount Eaton (Final concept used the Vortech kit). How effecient it would be is another story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts