3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install SLP Headers in my Monte Carlo SS this weekend,while the weather is still nice.Damn I need an indoor facility to do all this ****. Anyway, does anyone have any advice or precautions for me? I purchased the header install kit so that should help a little :rolleyes: . The rear set is going to be a pain I know it. :mad:I have done most of the install on my car already so I know I'm capable I'm just a little impatient and violent when things that are supposed to "go right in" give me a problem. Any advice?
Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
Like you said, the rear header is the only real hard part. I would try jacking the engine as far forward as possible, and slipping them in. That won't work, so another trick is lower the rear of the engine cradle a little (not too much so the bolts come all the way out, though). That should give you enough clearance to get them in. You don't have to worry about the trans dipstick or the sway bar.

The instructions I believe tell you to bolt the rear header in, then bolt to the cat-back, then install the crossover and front header. That is the good order, but you may end up having to loosen up the rear header a bit to get everything to line up good.

Be sure to re-torque the header bolts after you have heated up the engine the first time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
frank,
i've installed TOG's and S & S on a monte but never SLP. so i could'nt tell you from experience. but more than likely you will have some issues w/ the clearance @ the bottom of the firewall, if you do just cut off the flange!

good luck!!
KIP

·
Registered
651 Posts
The rear one is a biatch. I would also wrap the flex otherwise your going to get an annoying tick when your rev. We had the motor pulled forward, and the car jacked up, and still ended up with a piece of board and a hammer driving the rear header down. LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
-wrap flex section with header wrap.

-make sure the slip joints with the cuts are fully sealed with metal before you clamp the crossover pipe.

-heat shielded DEI spark plug boots would be a wise investment.

-In the front header area you will have some tranny lines (ones that go to the radiator for the tranny cooler) that will be real close to the header, rebend the metal hose and/or tie away where possible.

-Stiffer dogbones and or poly upper motor mounts would be a wise investment also, due to that the downpipe will hit the firewall with stock dogbones/mounts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SLP Headers Install

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how everything went once I'm done. Wish me luck :D Any averages on how long it takes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It took us about 8 hours to do mine it was a pain. I'd wrap all of the headers before I put them on cause I tried wrapping them later and its a bitch, I went through my wires right away when we put them on. After that I bought the boots and I still burnt up one wire so I would definitly recommend wrapping them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jesus, took us less than four, and an hour of that was wasted trying to get the rear in from the top.

It goes pretty quick if you drop te subframe a little and go from the bottom.

Mat

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the headers are in. It took my dad and I about 8 hours. That's with 2 trips to the autoparts store, changing all my plugs, and having to remove and reinstall my entire csc kit. We had a come-along puller. I would recommend buying one of these if you need to get to the back of the engine. It was only $40 at Home Depot. we had the engine pulled so far foward I thought my rear wheels were going to lift off the ground :D , It also helps if one person hammers it down from the top while the other person pulls and guides it form the bottom. Anyway my car halls like crazy now and DAMN :eek: is it loud at wot. it scares my girlfriend. Thanks for all the advice guys. It definatley helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts