3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed lately that when I accelerate from a stop I will feel a slight slip and then have a neck snaping bang when the transmission hooks up. I have read that a bad PCS could cause this. It will also happen sometimes when accelerating from a very slow corner (>5 mph). It only happens in first gear when in drive. Also when I let off the gas, the transmission seems to hang in the gear it was in for a sec or so before upshifting. Other than these problems, it shifts fine and does not slip. The studded goes away if I shift into 1st manually before I take off then once moving shift into drive. I have a SES code for front the 02 sensor inactivity (0134 I think), that will come about once a week. That started after my TOG install. I think some of the copper RTV got on it. I have not checked for codes after finding out what was setting my SES light. Currently I am reseting my PCM to see if that helps.

Any ideas on what is causing this, or do I have it figured out??

Andy
DHP, TOG, Borla, FWI, RT DP, 3.4, TR6's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tan
Now I just need to know how to change it. Any tips, will it be a PITA. $50 part, 6+ hr install, sounds like fun to me. Does anyone know of a shop in southern MI, or NW Ohio that will do the install for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
784 Posts
The tranny needs to come out. Once you do it's right there. The PCS is only about 50 - 60 bucks. I took mine in. If you do and you "tell" them what you want they shouldn't charge any more than $500. Thats still a lot of money, I know. However 'driveway' tranny work is a little different than home engine work. I'm just not familiar enough with auto trannys to be comfortable doing it myself. But, if you've got the time and place to do it. You can get by for cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That not quite what I wanted to hear but it is better that having to replace the trans. I feel the same way about working on transmissions, they just intimidate the crap out of me. Are there any other problems that a failing PCS may cause?

·
Registered
784 Posts
alancour said:
Are there any other problems that a failing PCS may cause?
Not to my knowledge. You have given, in my view, a text book description of a failing PCS. There are other more knowlegeable tranny people on this forum. Who may chime in with other thoughts and opinions. But, my symptoms were exactly as yours and it was the PCS. In fact there is a GM bulletin out about them. They supposedly have the problem corrected on the PCM's there replacing the failing ones with. Does your problem seem to worsen as the car warms up? The PCM problem tends to worsen as the car is driven. I had to drive mine a little before I would notice it. But, once it would start to act up, it was maddening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It does not happen all the time, but more often depending on how aggressively I drive. Some days it will act fine. Other days it will get worse as I drive. When it is bad, it will drive me nuts, and I will shift manually from 1st. I think I will contact DHP about the PCM and see if there are any upgrades available. My GTP is an 01. I thought the problems were in the 98 & 99 models. Any other input?

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine does something kinda like that.....right when i floor it my tranny almost sounds like its slips for a very small fraction of a second, and grabs....Its not bad, i mean it doesnt feel like its slipping at all and its only the last i was at the track cause i cant seem to get it to hook that hard on the street....Its almost like the tire slips really quick, for maybe a 1/16 of a turn, but this happened 2-3 time the last time i went out.....Is it the tranny or the tires? Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
291 Posts
ive had that same problem before
when u power brake it as high as u go does it slip a sec than throw u back?
how bout doin a u turn while punchin it or half gunnin it does it slip till u get at a certain point then go?

·
Registered
347 Posts
imxlr8in said:
ive had that same problem before
when u power brake it as high as u go does it slip a sec than throw u back?
how bout doin a u turn while punchin it or half gunnin it does it slip till u get at a certain point then go?
It doesnt really feel like its slipping though, its sounding like it is, but it doesnt really fell like it is, i mean it gets out of the hole hard....I talked to my tranny guy today and he said that he'd take a look at it when i do my gears and let me know if anything looks bad....$520 labor just to do gears, what a rip off... :mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
What was the ultimate solution to this? Mine is slipping and jolting it sounds similar but I'll prob start a new thread so people know it's this century.

en have a neck snaping bang when the transmission hooks up. I have read that a bad PCS could cause this. It will also happen sometimes when accelerating from a very slow corn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts