3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 1997 grand prix gtp with 205007 miles, and just recently got the code P0337 which is the crankshaft position sensor, but to my problem, the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on seems to be siezed into the crank. i took it to Car-X and had them try to change the sensor for me, but they could not get it off with there 3/4 inch impact wrench. Heat is out of the question seeings how it is supercharged the harmonic balancer has a plastic spacer between the pulleys, and would melt the oil seal. does anyone have any suggestions? i am afraid of breaking the bolt off. it would start a major money issue. Also i got the o2 sensor code for the one after the catalytic converter, could that affect anything with the crankshaft sensor? the car runs fine and gets up to speed without any problem, but when it gets cranky it dies, and has a hard time restarting for a couple minutes. thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
314 Posts
had the same problem, i was knee deep in valve train update, and with half the damn engine apart i couldn't seem to break it loose. i'm talking a breaker bar with about a three foot pipe. had it towed to my work(gm dealership) took them about 5 minutes with a good impact,took longer to push the car in than it did to take the bolt off, and here is was fighting with it for days. i was ashamed. so long story short, try getting your hands on a good impact, with a big tank backing it up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
a good impact will break it loose. Its not just the torque in the impact gun that breaks it loose its the impacts per second.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i own a 1997 grand prix gtp with 205007 miles, and just recently got the code P0337 which is the crankshaft position sensor, but to my problem, the bolt holding the harmonic balancer on seems to be siezed into the crank. i took it to Car-X and had them try to change the sensor for me, but they could not get it off with there 3/4 inch impact wrench. Heat is out of the question seeings how it is supercharged the harmonic balancer has a plastic spacer between the pulleys, and would melt the oil seal. does anyone have any suggestions? i am afraid of breaking the bolt off. it would start a major money issue. Also i got the o2 sensor code for the one after the catalytic converter, could that affect anything with the crankshaft sensor? the car runs fine and gets up to speed without any problem, but when it gets cranky it dies, and has a hard time restarting for a couple minutes. thanks ahead of time
My weapon of choice is a long breaker bar with a 4 foot section of black gas pipe slid over the end. Have someone else hold your flywheel with a pry bar while you put as much torque as you can on the cheater bar. I've seen many cases where an impact is useless in this situation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Doesnt the crank bolt have red locktight on it from the factory? I know there is some red compound on it when you buy new ones. Heat maybe the only way to get it off. If you heat the bolt and not the harmonic balancer you shouldn't melt anything and your supposed to replace the bolt anyway. I think if you use a propane torch or even a small butane one then you should be fine. The bolt doesn't need to be red hot to melt locktight.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Oh lord this brings back memories, yes they have locktight. i had to used heat and a 4 ft extension to break mine loose! also take vice grips and a cloth to put on the flywheel through the inspection cover, This will keep the engine from turning over.
Good Luck,
chris

·
Registered
314 Posts
a good impact will break it loose. Its not just the torque in the impact gun that breaks it loose its the impacts per second.
agreed i borrowed the same impact as the garage used to get mine off, but my little 5 gal air compressor wasnt enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts