3800Pro Forums banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
I know this is a older thread but, I have read much here about the 1.9 rockers causing low end slugishness, but I didnt find that to be the case at all. Now be it that I dropped from a 3.4 pulley to a 3.3 at the same time, I now could get some serious tire spin. I thought it to be worth my time although the back side of the engine was rather difficult to get at. Worth it for me:icon_lol:
How would a set 1.9 rockers cause a low end lack of power?

Now as far as a gain I would say you typically see less then a 5 hp gain. Dyno results have shown a 2-3 hp gain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
5 hp

well if that is only a 5hp gain, I will take a bunch of them for what i see in power improvement. Is Intense false advertising at 25hp gains? I've read many claims that 1.9 rockers cause low end power loss, even here on this forum

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
well if that is only a 5hp gain, I will take a bunch of them for what i see in power improvement. Is Intense false advertising at 25hp gains? I've read many claims that 1.9 rockers cause low end power loss, even here on this forum

This is not a can of worms that I am going to open. As far as INTENSE comment goes I am not going to claim false advertisment because I do not know what their gains were in testing. MY (NOT INTENSE's) experience has been somewhere around a 5 hp gain. If you have read on this forum that these rockers cause a loss in low end power then why are we even having this discussion.

Come on Salt. Lets move onto another topic.

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
I gotta ask regarding INTENSE's claim to 30 hp.

Are you talking about this claim made by Scott back in September of 2004???

His claim was 20 to 30 hp. Not 30 hp. He also did not mention if that was power at the crank or the tire. However you are saying that there are posts where people are claiming a low end power loss using high ratio rocker arms. Sounds like we need someone to show us some before and after results. Problem is I doubt you will find many 3800 dyno test results showing information below 3000 rpms.

AND

Since I have never seen 3800 fwd dyno results with the TC locked I doubt anyone has any concrete data showing a loss of low end power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
lets be fair

Brian, the reason I mentioned the slugishnessis here because I wanted to state that I dont see that, and that I saw a noticeable gain with the rockers. Am I not allowed to state my opinion here? I do read alot of vendors dyno test and that what Intense's dyno showed and I thought it seemed resonable.

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
Brian, the reason I mentioned the slugishnessis here because I wanted to state that I dont see that, and that I saw a noticeable gain with the rockers. Am I not allowed to state my opinion here? I do read alot of vendors dyno test and that what Intense's dyno showed and I thought it seemed resonable.
You are welcomed to state your opinion all you want.

·
Registered
88 Posts
30hp

First of all I didnt say 30hp, I said 25 and it really doesnt matter. It might have been as you said the claim in 04, which I would take 25 at the crank:) but I am sure you have the data. I am just not to happy to have spent 500 dollars to gain 5hp. Last time I believe vendors claims:icon_frow

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
. Last time I believe vendors claims:icon_frow
Who knows. Maybe the little ol 3800 responds better to rocker arms then I can remember.

Pick up a Jegs or Summit Catalog sometime. Take a look at every bolt on they offer for a given platform.

Here are some examples.

Up to 20-30 hp with a CAI
Up to a 20+ hp gain with Exhaust
A 10-20 hp gain with a underdrive crank pulley.
A 10-20 hp gain with a aftermarket ignition system.

Seems a little fishy to me how we can add darn near 100 hp to naturally aspirated engine without removing a valve cover.

The key words in any advertisement is "UP TO"

·
Registered
88 Posts
hp gains

Well I still want more acceleration out of my ssei! So now onto Gen V (ported?), ported or gasket matched lim and heads? A I/C and bigger injectors, and of course a real tune as soon as I get the tuner back.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Don't port any Gen X and don't bother with rockers. I had 1.9s on my first 3800 and thought I felt a difference but it was probably me wanting to justify the money I dumped in it. Heads, cam, N20 or turbo are your only real way to power with a 3800. Hell, I put on a fast intake mani on my LS1 vette and got more power and didn't even touch the valvetrain(until the cam went in).

FWD 3800 is a poor platform unless you go turbo and dump in LOADS of cash. By that time, you could have a LSx powered something, done a few hundred dollars worth of mods and put the thing clean into the low 11s. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
gen v

Well I have the ssei and dont intend to buy another untill this one dies and we keep cars untill they have over 200k and sometimes 250k. This one might not last that long depending on my self control.Is not this forum partially dedicated to 3800 platforms?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It is entirely. It is also here to help people and I'm being honest. I can build these cars blindfolded and have put more blood into my old GP than most could ever dream of. I'm trying to save you some suffering and money. If you want a really fast solution and do have some self control, get nitrous.

Don't listen to any douche that says N20 isn't safe. They're idiots and have 0 engine skills. I could put nitrous on a Vespa scooter and make it safe. Hell I'm probably throwing on a 30 shot sneaky pete in my wave runner this winter. Cheap, effective. Just save it for special occasions. You thrash anything enough and it comes apart.

Roller rockers are a great addition to any car, even yours. Just not for performance in most cases. I bought them for valve train harmonics and the friction benefits. They are a more solid unit and provide longer engine life.

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
It is entirely. It is also here to help people and I'm being honest. I can build these cars blindfolded and have put more blood into my old GP than most could ever dream of. I'm trying to save you some suffering and money. If you want a really fast solution and do have some self control, get nitrous.

Don't listen to any douche that says N20 isn't safe. They're idiots and have 0 engine skills. I could put nitrous on a Vespa scooter and make it safe. Hell I'm probably throwing on a 30 shot sneaky pete in my wave runner this winter. Cheap, effective. Just save it for special occasions. You thrash anything enough and it comes apart.

Roller rockers are a great addition to any car, even yours. Just not for performance in most cases. I bought them for valve train harmonics and the friction benefits. They are a more solid unit and provide longer engine life.
This post is full of win.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts