3800Pro Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I have been doing alot of reading and I really dont know that much about the mechanics of things. I have a 99 Grand Prix GT coupe. I also have a 92 Olds 88 Royale that has been trashed and crashed by the wife. I am thinking of pulling the motor out of the Olds and building it for the GP. How hard are cams to do and would can you also do the rockers too or do they somehow counter act eachother?

·
Registered
136 Posts
waht other valvetrain mods did you do? i have a 2004 monte ss s/c gen3. i wanna do the VS but i dont wana change the valvetrain too much. ive read and heard its ok to do it. do i need new seals? my car has 68k miles.i wanted to get the vs, new gm timing chain and damper plus all new required gaskets. I have other mods thou, 3.3 pulley, cai, headers and more. thank you

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
No. A Cam is far worse on your seals than rockers. As long as the geometry remains good no worries

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
25 ft/lbs of torque, assembly lube the tips and make sure you're oiling up top.

·
Registered
984 Posts
waht other valvetrain mods did you do? i have a 2004 monte ss s/c gen3. i wanna do the VS but i dont wana change the valvetrain too much. ive read and heard its ok to do it. do i need new seals? my car has 68k miles.i wanted to get the vs, new gm timing chain and damper plus all new required gaskets. I have other mods thou, 3.3 pulley, cai, headers and more. thank you
VS with stock rockers you will need

ls6 or equivalent springs
ls1 or equivalent retainers
ls1 or equivalent retainer locks

gaskets, fluids, etc...

also a good time for new timing chain and damper

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I use prelube on the rocker tips and pushrod seats, I also soak lifters and pushrods in oil, I have used engine pre-oilers for first starts.
always soak the lifters. Never pump them in oil, however.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Go "BIG" or go home!! H/C/I is the only choice for me and anyone who hates to lose. Silly rockers are for kids btw....

·
Registered
136 Posts
would i need to get aftermarket seals to run a VS cam or not? i dont want my car burning oil or oil going past my seals? would i have any issues with the VS cam? thank you

·
Registered
136 Posts
vs

would i need to get aftermarket seals to run a VS cam or not? i dont want my car burning oil or oil going past my seals? would i have any issues with the VS cam? thank you

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Aftermarket seals would be recommended. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
i know i have to torque down my rockers to 25ft pounds of torque. i ve heard that people use also LOCTITE blue???? should i use it or no??? and also do i have to TDC the piston to tighten the rocker bolts??? thanks a lot

·
Registered
88 Posts
1.9 rockers

I know this is a older thread but, I have read much here about the 1.9 rockers causing low end slugishness, but I didnt find that to be the case at all. Now be it that I dropped from a 3.4 pulley to a 3.3 at the same time, I now could get some serious tire spin. I thought it to be worth my time although the back side of the engine was rather difficult to get at. Worth it for me:icon_lol:

81 - 100 of 115 Posts