3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally speaking, aftermarket rockers give gains in the 20 to 30 horsepower range on L67/L32 engines, while a properly selected cam will give gains in the 20 to 50 horsepower range.

Cams can provide more horsepower per dollar spent, but are MUCH more labor intensive to install. In addition, some of the more radical cams can trip S.E.S. lights, but rockers have no such side effects.

So, it all boils down to how much you want to spend, how skilled you are at parts installation and how much sacrifice you want to make.

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
How are the powerbands affected in relation to rockers vs. a cam? Does one or the other give increases over a larger powerband? Is one a more strict top end mod, while the other might give a slightly more midrange gain? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If i could do it all over again I would go the cam route. I currently have the INTENSE gen 1 rockers.. and luv em..but a cam seems much more appealing now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went ahead and got stage 2 cam and heads, they get installed next week, along with the TCC-350 torque converter and ported mannis. Scotts right though, it depends on labor and cost, cams are cheaper, but rockers are easier to install, the only thing is a cam will usually cost you less maybe $100. and if you find a demodding army guy going to iraq you can parts mad cheap. I'd say go with a cam, but thats my .02 cents

Also, for scott cook this question is directed for you, does anyone know what Wes Blair has HP wise at the wheels and crank, a dyno? Been curios as to what hes got hp wise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
alexgtp said:
If i could do it all over again I would go the cam route. I currently have the INTENSE gen 1 rockers.. and luv em..but a cam seems much more appealing now.
I agree completely with that. I have the Gen 3 1:9 rockers, I love what it does for the upper RPM's but now it just makes the lower RPMs seem sluggish.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone know what Wes Blair has HP wise at the wheels and crank, a dyno? Been curios as to what hes got hp wise.
I believe he was right at 220 WHP on his last dyno pull.

Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you scott.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had two cars with L67's and ran a cam in both *VS* and have access to a car with an XP grind. I have driven cars with rocker upgrades, it's nice but just does not compare to how the car feels with an aftermarket cam.. increasing duration is sooo much better than simply tossing a ton of lift at it. The pull is long and constant, it's a bit missleading at times as to just how fast it's going hehe.

A cam will also allow more air to enter the cylinder and thus decrease the boost pressure in the lower manifold and the amount of compression work the blower has to do and lowering temperatures all at the same time.. thus reducing detonation (KR) and making more power. I run 22 degrees of timing on a VS with a 3.25 and Headers, no Knock.

Long story short, cams own.. many people out there know how to install them too and only want beer in return heh. I had the advantage of doing these installs before so I tossed one in my otherwise stock SSEi without a problem and had a good base to build on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the 3rd gen 1.9 rockers and SLP headers and for the money spent I'm very happy. Yes I agree a cam would be a great improvement, but as Scott says it would require more labor intensive work than I'm capable of. Can't think of any better way to put it as what was stated above. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
True however I DO feel that 90% of the people here could install a cam if they can install rockers. Just takes a little guidence on the first one ;)

But yes, if your not up to it rockers are great, I wasn't knocking on them, just saying cam or rockers, cam is my answer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've noticed people who run mild cams - ie vs, s1x, run about the same times as those running 1.9/1.8 rockers ( supporting mods being equal ). Because of this I feel rockers give serious bang for the buck. For $400 and 6hrs I can be running high 12s, I install a cam (~500 ) I'd probably be at the same place. Am I wrong ?

·
Banned
368 Posts
There are not that many people running high 12s with just rockers/exhaust.

A cam on stock heads is only supposed to give you 10-20 more hp. ~(1-2 tenths)

I ran high 12s on rockers and with the cam it looks like I may have gained 2 tenths.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I race alot so heres some info. Best I ran once with 1.9's (tog's,dhp,3.10,cai,portedM90, stock TB) was a 13.18 105. Ran lots of 13.3's 10-15 13.2x passes, between 103-105mph. I used 100 unleaded somtimes, but that was it.
This year I added a a XP cam a set of heads I ported a little (thanks ED), had PCM work for the cam, and a LS1 TB. Best is ET 12.64 MPH 109.8 ran about 5 12.6's mostly 12.75-12.80's 108-109.

12.9x with 1.9 rockers, no IC are pretty hard. I'm taking driving from work/school racing maybe on DR's? It's differnt then people that ran there PB talking the seats/intior out and borrowing slicks and skinnies. I know it's cool to say your ran a 12.9 once but it's not that same as running them in not so good weather all summer. Check out the MPH too when looking at peoples times for mods. That tells you how fast a car is, 12.98 105mph rockerd car on the street will be walked by 108mph cars. And with the XP I'm not getting run down over 80MHP by LS1's, and roll racers turbo imports. So it's just like everthing you heard about rockers vs cam. But know you can get rockers on your car pretty cheap with the old 1.9's getting sold.

·
Registered
240 Posts
is it just me or doesnt everyone who goes for rockers first ends up with a cam later on, but if your tight on money i would say get rockers, but if you end up getting rockers and then wanting a cam your going to end up spending more money anyway

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks for all the insight.

Let's say my goal is mid 12s. Since that looks like its just outside of the rockers potential ( without more supporting mods like a stage 2 ic )

Which cam would you recommend ?

VS
S1X
XP ( leaning towards this one - just worried about the longevity of the milled retainers )

It looks like it would cost about ~$700 for all the parts : springs, retainers, cam, cam install kit, stage 2 intense pcm. If the s1x, vs is enough, I would be more than happy to go with one of those two.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you dont need a stage 2 pcm for a cam..... and if my motor would stay together longer than a few months, im sure i could bang out a mid 12 with my s1x and supporting mods. as far as difference between cams, i have no experience with other ones but i dont have problems hangin with lt1/ls1s over 75 (2nd gear powerband)

1 - 20 of 115 Posts