3800Pro Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I guess you assumed it was on a 3.8, but as I said I wouldn't have picked the S3 and Lucerne as a go fast vehicle, it's on V8's. The exhaust manifolds on my engine were cast, you can confirm this on a GM parts site, you want the parts# lol. The power logs and rockers were to possibly offset the loss of low end of the HV3 and to add any minimal improvements at the 2200 rpm+ range which is where this vehicle is being setup for. Yes the shinny valve covers are a waste of money, but ZZP had them deeply discounted as they were in the bruised and reduced section and it was a moment of weakness but heck they look better than the stock GM crap.

I'm not swapping out the TB and never said I was, my only inquiry was if anything has been done or possible modification on the DBW TB which has been covered as there isn't any. Sorry already knew about the Northstar swap and others TB which basically apply to the S2 or SC engines which would have little gain for my application and more modifications without any off shelf adapters.

My background of engine building started in the early 70's, so getting a tune to work on the Lucerne isn't really a challenge as much as it's research, which comes from experience.

So please toss out some additional remarks of how I don't know what I'm doing and only you know everything.

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
So you want to crap on people for offering legacy options available to adjust the airflow and fueling controls the only way available for the car at the moment, but then say your experience mainly lies in outdated and much less efficient platforms from twice as far back in engine development?

I interact with people who've been "into cars" for 40-60yrs, and some can acknowledge that they won't know everything in a platform they didn't spend as much time and effort working on... Others will try throwing elbows blindly as they pass thru and get dismissed after they leave. Would you want a guy who swapped out punch cards or tape reels to try helping you troubleshoot a current software-specific issue? Sure, there's an anecdotal snarky reply available, but that's the same as saying someone who cut their teeth on SBC/SBF/BBC/BBF/Hemi (pick whatever) is going to be ready to discuss detailed applications of how to optimize DBW configurations with no access to the computer.

Don't worry, we aren't misguided in thinking a guy with a login id "3800..." on a forum/site called "3800..." posting a topic titled "...3.8L..." would be grumpy when people who've spent 20yrs tinkering with every configuration of these engines are telling them they're not looking in the right direction to make some gains in efficiency.

Go get some old iron and build it up with a Summit checklist, if you want. It's been done, and there's a plethora of those who've built any configuration you want. I'll gladly ignore any of my SBC/LS/SBF/4-6cyl working experience and keep pushing to make my "crappy" 3800 as fun as I can for the challenge. You can join the fun in some way, or get mad that we're enjoying what we have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well if that isn't profiling, LMAO. Yes I cut my teeth on DOS but running Windows 10 currently, had a bag phone but using a Samsung S50, used a Craftmans engine analyzer and now use my Tech2 on my 95 Lesabre OBD 1.5 and the Lucerne OBD2.

Cast iron exhaust manifolds sucked back in the 70's and are still crap today so some things don't change. That is why the shinny power logs are on the vehicle, experience doesn't have a expiration date.

Yes 20 years stuck on the same engine, apparently that's irony for someone who feels anything else is outdated.

Have a great day

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
Who said stuck or outdated? I am a fan of the jack-of-all-trades utility of this platform with roots in the 70's, and technology that stopped before the true integration of algorithms that guide more enhanced use of DBW functionality in recent years.

I've been on a race team during the transition of SB2+style engines to LS-based crate engines. There's plenty of experienced people who pushed this and other platforms beyond the basic level most thought it was worth, because true understanding of what works is found in the garage, not by those who wholly discount others' choice of platform on classic masculinity gatekeeping that anything but a V8 is a waste to build up.

You bought a V6 boat base model grandpa cruiser and thought it'd be nice to dip a toe in the aftermarket... on slim to no experience with what's under the hood. When you ask about changing the TB (or somehow reprogramming it's function in relation to pedal position, despite already knowing it's an unsupported model in the only applicable tuner), you're met with information that reiterates that and offers alternatives. This has caused you to lash out with mild insults to cover your lack of wanting to have more in-depth discussions on possible bolt-on items that may help the efficiency and longevity of your engine (and transmission, which is an even bigger concern in that chassis, which got the beefier one on the higher model).

So do you want to actually do anything with your car, or is shouting at the monitor enough? I'm fine splicing in replies between work, garage fun, and various other travels, but I'm happy to pivot back to actual constructive discussion whenever it's requested.

Reactions: Mad_Coachman
21 - 24 of 24 Posts