3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 3.8L NA and trying to see if any possible upgrades on the TB have been done. Did the search function on the forum and nothing came up, the drive by wire has limited post so hopefully there is a solution.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
The diameter of Series 3 throttle bodies is 75mm, and flows more than enough air for N/A 3800's (even S/C ones are happy to have that bore available).

The main upgrade for them is the ZZP High Velocity Intake Insert (HVII) to greatly improve power through the whole RPM range... The HVIII/HV3 is out of stock, but a new version is supposed to be available soon (HV4). I've got an HV3 in my L26 intake I use with an adapted 75mm cable TB on the turbo Regal, and it's great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The diameter of Series 3 throttle bodies is 75mm, and flows more than enough air for N/A 3800's (even S/C ones are happy to have that bore available).

The main upgrade for them is the ZZP High Velocity Intake Insert (HVII) to greatly improve power through the whole RPM range... The HVIII/HV3 is out of stock, but a new version is supposed to be available soon (HV4). I've got an HV3 in my L26 intake I use with an adapted 75mm cable TB on the turbo Regal, and it's great.
Have the insert already along with the power logs and the lifters, just checking or more confirming that nothing has changed on the TB as far possible upgrades. Looking at highway vs off the line all minor upgrades but basically any improvements over GM that do not require a engine removal.

Thank you for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
Don't need to remove the engine for a cam, supercharger, turbo, or nitrous install. 😉 If what you mean is not doing significant upgrades to gain more than a couple HP here and there, that's just not the case with an N/A 3800 as shown by many over the last 25yrs.

You can dig thru the engine bay, and do minor things like rotate the upper motor mount bushings on the radiator support (or swap to poly) for slightly better response/less movement. There's plenty of tinkering you can discover as you learn about each thing that is and isn't required under the hood.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't need to remove the engine for a cam, supercharger, turbo, or nitrous install. 😉 If what you mean is not doing significant upgrades to gain more than a couple HP here and there, that's just not the case with an N/A 3800 as shown by many over the last 25yrs.

You can dig thru the engine bay, and do minor things like rotate the upper motor mount bushings on the radiator support (or swap to poly) for slightly better response/less movement. There's plenty of tinkering you can discover as you learn about each thing that is and isn't required under the hood.
I'm guessing you haven't seen a Lucerne as rotating the upper motor mounts, well lets just say its a little impossible. I would never have picked a 3.8L in a Lucerne to do anything significant other than available minor tweaks where MPG, HP and TQ could have some small gains. My days of BB Chevy, Mopar, Buick and Cadillac engines in stock form would be better as I come from a world where there's nothing that cubic inches can't solve LOL.

Again was just checking if any new items may have turned up on TB as the S3 like the Lucerne is somewhat limited on aftermarket parts. It's a stay at home quarantine project basically started out of boredom last year as a hobby and I appreciate the input.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
Forgot it's a Lucerne not Lacrosse. I'd get an HPTuners and a wideband, and enjoy tinkering with minor timing/fueling/shiftpoint tweaks to satisfy your curiosity in how much MPG and butt dyno improvements you can get.

Don't sleep on how boost/EFI/DI/OHC/VVT/etc. has helped replace/optimize displacement in the modern era. The combination of modern 300-430ci V8's with boost has made the limited functionality of old SB/BB engines one step away from obsolete, aside from all out ProLine-style ProMod engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't forget it's a Lucerne 3.8L as HP Tuners doesn't support it, at least on the vehicle listings, which follows along with every other aftermarket manufacturer LMAO. If someone does have support it's usually only the Northstar engine, same on suspension components as I said if I was to pick a go fast vehicle this would not be it. It's a challenge to find anything beyond stock and again I am only trying to make the engine the most efficient, not the most HP or TQ just a efficient air pump at the 70MPH+ range.

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
You'd want to go the route we did before tuners were available ~15-20yrs ago, then, and use the occasional piggyback items. If you wanted the easy answer of being able to swap out the first part you looked at under the hood to gain 5mpg, that's just not the case. Best MPG's is fairly maxxed on 3800's as they arrive getting ~30hwy +/-5 depending on situation, and maintenance is your friend. If you want better, a Ford Fusion Hybrid or something similar getting 45+ is the next step near this size class.

Also, this forum was built on making cars that usually get ignored into street-driven go-fast rides of various levels. Sure, only a few have gone single-digits, but 99.9% of daily-driven cars are nowhere near that and 11-12-13-sec rides get the job done well for $5-10k. The newer $75k+ sports cars or well-modded custom rides are the rare things you'd have trouble with at a stoplight or highway (and most classics need a few house payments under the hood to upgrade from the old version of "fast" to today's definition)... And we definitely put more miles of smiles on them than most others.

Edit: I know that's not what you're going for, I just like defending the place in the grand scheme of car world that this platform typically fills. There's always a way to squeeze something out of them, but it depends on how much time/research/effort/money it's worth vs. the gains you're looking for. In the hunt for MPG's, the cost is probably going to deter much beyond the basics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just asked if any advance had been made on the 3.8L S3 TB, which it hasn't apparently. Thank you for your time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts