3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Com'on guys.. you have to include us.. pweeeeaaaasssseee!!! :).

-justin

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Our understanding is that there are already plenty of good technical forums for Series I engines. Is this not the case?

The other issue is that none of our current moderators has much knowledge in that area, so we're not sure how much we could contribute...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yeah there is Bonneville Club, which is awesome. But, there isn't a company like INTENSE.. for S1, let alone LG3 & LN3's. I would kind of like to promote that, being as though I will soon be the first to do a lot of things to an LN3, that have been done to S1+S2, but.. there is still that voide in the older car department. I see this forum as being an awesome resource for S2 guys.. and from the threads I have read, I see there are extensive modifications you guys have done. However, I haven't seen any Series 1's. I know some of the parts compatable with the s2 would be awesome to have sitting under my hood, but there isn't really anything beyond getting custom one-off stuff, which is hard to come by, and expensive. Dr. Jay [BC member], has done extensive mods to his S1, and I am very impressed with all that has been done, but unfortunatly he has it fairly easy, not only because of the Supercharger, but also because some of the INTENSE products are available for his engine. Me, I am kind of left alone, mainly because there isn't a market for LG3/LN3. Projectheavytouring [also, BC member] has good plans for his LG3, and hopefully it will come about, however, he WILL be the first for his engine.

This is getting wordy.. I will end it here, I hope I brought my point across.

-justin

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
As far as I know, nothing that INTENSE makes for the series 2 engines will work on a series 1. Scott can correct me if I'm wrong. Beyond the Bonneville there just isn't much of a market for S1 performance mods and it isn't cost effective to support (mod wise) a market where less than .01 percent of owners of the vehicles want to upgrade them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rogue said:
it isn't cost effective to support (mod wise) a market where less than .01 percent of owners of the vehicles want to upgrade them.
That is fine. But, it would be nice to be able to incorporate some of the technology, and go to someplace like Crane Cams, or the like, and say, grind me this cam, this lift, this duration, and send me up some of those springs, rockers, and lifters, and me have a perfect setup. Unfortunatly, those don't exist.

Some of the stuff on INTENSE is S1 compatable.. but not a whole lot.

-justin

·
Registered
61 Posts
No aftermarket for a series I? Are you kidding? Don't Grand Nationals have Series I's ? You can buy aluminum our cast iron aftermarket heads and even blocks, we are limited to only the stockers. Crane can make you any grind your little heart desires. I don't think I would be lying to say the 3.8 buick (series II is a corporate motor like the LS1) has a plethra of aftermarket support. Make your own turbo manifolds, convert to 4t65e hd with a little help from this forum and you'll be "that guy with the stupid fast Bonneville". :cool:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grand National.. Grand National... don't they have the LG3? Hmm... I need to do more research on that. As far as the tranny goes, i'd love to put in a bad ass tranny like that, but.. I can barely afford the overhaul gasket set I need to do a top end rebuild on my engine ;). But, now I need to start looking at Grand National parts.. I wonder if they would fit. By the time I am 16, I would like to have a Naturally Aspirated 15 second car.. after I reach that, I will be shooting for the power adder, either n2o or turbo. Maybe have a 13 second car.. :). Thanks for the suggestion of the GN parts! This may turn out awesome!

As far as the cam goes, I know they can grind any cam I want, but I don't know some of the specs I may want.. I know what the stock specs are.. but I don't know where to go from there. But, since I am not even close to affording a new cam, I won't get into that subject, yet.

-justin

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing some research.. it seems the Grand National is RWD.. the manifold/intake is completely different for a RWD.. making adapting the intake on mine, impossible. Right?

-justin

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is near 0 support for the series1, I have pretty much giving up and swapping to a series2 this winter. I think it is Engle cams or might be someone else but they will regrind you factory cam shaft and as far as I know I think that is about as far as it goes for the series 1. Jump right in and swap that series1 for a good series2 and you will get all the support you could want.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naw, too easy. Besides, I want to keep my "stupid" car.. I don't like the ECU knowing too much. That, and swaping in a Series 2, would mean I wouldn't be fully backing up my 87-91 guys.. and well.. No can do bud ;). Guess I will be the pioneer of Series 1 stuff. We'll see how it turns out!

-justin

·
Registered
92 Posts
opensourceguy said:
Naw, too easy. Besides, I want to keep my "stupid" car.. I don't like the ECU knowing too much. That, and swaping in a Series 2, would mean I wouldn't be fully backing up my 87-91 guys.. and well.. No can do bud ;). Guess I will be the pioneer of Series 1 stuff. We'll see how it turns out!

-justin
There are a few trying to get some things going for the series1 @ Bonnevilleclub.com. It would be nice to see some more upgrades available for the series1. but i already have the series 2 setting on stand with heads sent out for P&P, cam pulley and headers ordered. I am playing the rest of this year to see actually how fast I can get the series1. I promised all the guys I raced with if i got to the 7.90 mark(1/8) with the series 1 I was going to go ahead and drop series 2 in , but im going to finish playign this yera with the series 1. I have to find a way to stop belt from slipping under hard load and might just add little more N2O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts