3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i rebuilt my engine and intermittently, i get a screeching noise. it sounds like its coming from the rear valve cover area. its not a horrible screeching noise, like something it gonna break. i know its not the belt. the car has good oil pressure. i have intense gen3 adjustable rocker arms and OR pushrods with rollertip rockers. i think i got all the rockers adjusted correctly. its not making any tapping noise. just sometimes, it screeches a little and then goes away

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would pull the rear valve cover, visually check the rockers, try wiggling them (some will move a fair amount when the valve is closed) If all else, pull the rockers and pushrods and put them back together. Then, you know its not there.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the valve train area of the car? I had my power steering pump go about a year and a half ago. Sounded like what your describing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
duh

lol. i asked the guy i work with since he has more engine experience than i do. he said i probably didnt put enough grease on the rear main seal when i installed it. he said he did the same thing with an engine he built last year. the noise went away eventually and all was fine. i hope thats all it is

·
Registered
134 Posts
GREASE IN THE REAR MAIN SEAL?

Um....what?

I think your suspost to install the rear main seal with clean engine oil. Thats what I did. The front engine seal because it has the "GM SPECIAL GREEN COATING on it, it goes in dry, pressed in flush with the timming cover.

Ya...could be your power stearing pump too, whens the last time you changed your fluid in that?

~Farnsworth~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.