3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my stock push rods with the Intense OR push rods and noticed something strange. 6 out of the 12 push rods that I removed were scarred near the top near the opening in the heads. Some were worse than others, here is a LINK for yuor viewing pleasure.

Any Ideas what might cause this type of scarring?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Link no good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It hasn't happened to many, but sometimes the head castings from gm have so much slag/overlap from a casting that your pushrods can hit in the opening where they run through the head to the lifter. That looks to be your situation there, take off your valve cover, and turn over your crank and see if they hit if they do you will just have to grind away the casting material for clearance (I would suggest removing your heads to do so, if this is the case).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It just seems strange that all six of the scarred push rods were on the same port (I'm not sure which side is exhaust or intake) I just wonder if it is an alignment issue with the Gen3's..

·
Banned
361 Posts
So if the damage is on the top of the pushrod(not the head casting or gasket) what could have caused it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seriesIIIChump said:
So if the damage is on the top of the pushrod(not the head casting or gasket) what could have caused it?
I think that it might be the head casting, if you look where the damage is it's right about where the rod sticks through the head.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
We've seen this on quite a few 2002 and newer cars running 1.90:1 rocker arms. The relocated pushrod seat shifts the pushrod location just enough to make some of the rods interfere with excess head casting flash in some (but not all) newer engines.

There are four possible solutions:

1) remove the heads and grind off the excess casting flash (best and most difficult solution)
2) run smaller diameter rods
3) run lower ratio rocker arms
4) ignore it - not the best idea, but easily the most common

1 - 10 of 10 Posts