3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few threads back I described a sound eminating from my SC snout as a whine,, which was an incorrect description as I and all others know that whine is ok.
More accurately, the sound coming from my snout would best be described as a whistle, during acceleration,, similar to what you could do in a high pitch with your mouth. To double checked I removed the SC belt and ran the car for a day...no sound. Put belt back on.......sound is back.

Car has 102K on it. Sound has been apparent only in the last month. been all over this and other forums and not to much has been said on the subject.

Any thoughts.

PF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have perfected the replica of the sound!! You remember those noise makers with a little metal fan that you blow in to and you get that quick high pitch wwwhhiiiizzz. Thats the exact sound"""

So how do I checK for the vacuum leaks mentioned???

PF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same happened to my car. It did it for a couple of days then quit and never came back. I never was able to diagnose it.

As for checking for Vacuum leaks. Grab a can of carb cleaner and spray in spots around the intake gaskets and where the S/C attaches to the lower intake. If Idle changes as you spray that is where a leak is.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
How loud is it? Have you recently changed pulleys?

I notice a similar "but faint" sound after installing the 3.4. I can hear it with the windows down and mostly when there is a barrier or something on the passenger's side for the sound to bounce off of. I figured it to be a side effect of the higher SC RPM's from the 3.4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day day,

I have not changed pully's recently, but I am installiong a 3.4 this week. Its not that loud. Actually your description is exactly what I hear, Passenger window down and most prevelant when I am close to a wall or barrier for the sound to bounce.
I have no perceptable performance loss. I will be doing the new pully, coupler and oil change so I am just going to let it ride and not worry about there being an issue.

PF

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check your idler pullies. If those are starting to go bad it can make the same noise as what you described.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, Just replaced one and the other is being replaced this week. Once all my new maintenance is completed I am sure everything will be fine

PF

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sometimes on a high mileage SCer, a lound whine could mean the bearings are going south.

Tensioners usually are more like a growl...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts