3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who actually uses this forum for its intended purpose?

Chime in here.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You got that right! Hopefully some one at 3800 pro will curtail this BS. If I had the power I would report this to the authorities so they can round up these dingbats and make them OD on their own S... Mr goodwrench

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Jumped back into the forums in the last few weeks to see if anyone else is still chasing the dragon with their 3800's. Kinda sparse, and I don't have a FB, so it's my way of checking out the activity level.

Hopefully, site management can keep this place under control. There's only 2-3 places left that have a minor presence with the old guard of the early years.

- Dave

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should start a FB page called 3800prodotcom

Migrate those who give a **** about this forum and use it over to the page.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am on my third 3800 series II car (and bought one for a friend a couple of years ago as well), and I come here once in a while to give and take advice.

I do not have FB any more (maybe 8 years) and won't go back.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, you've seen my posts - hopefully some of them are useful to others. Several others in my area (Los Angeles/Orange County CA) have 3800 powered Corvairs - turns out that this big heavy iron lump works pretty well for a 'Vair. I think most of them run well enough that they don't need hot rodding - at least at first.
(Stock Corvair engine was carbureted 45-165 cubic inches, 85-180 hp - swap to a supercharged 235 with efi, and a four-speed automatic - yee-haa!)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

I would certainly be up for that.....also for those in the know, we could also help others with cars other than 3800's. I personally have been an auto tech since the mid 70's and I've seen just about everything....but a little light on european stuff. Mr Goodwrench (Jake) ...........

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use this forum. While the 3800 is now a classic engine it is still an excellent engine used in many performance and every day cars of its time. Since several million were manufactured, there must be many Grand Prix, Lucernes, Lacrosse, Chevy SS still on the road not to mention those used in engine swaps. I view this engine as the more modern GM small block that it replaced. .

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

That may work out pretty good. If this does happen, I would certainly use it and try to be helpful . One may find other car guys and gals might be interested in this and want to join in....... That could be a good thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just made a new account so could respond and actually post. I've been meaning to for a while now. I was using this site for useful information 3 or 4 years ago but my 98 regal's tranny went out 2 years ago and it sat for awhile so I wasn't on here at all. I just recently picked up a mint rust free 2002 regal a few weeks ago now and I'm in the middle of an engine swap right now. I've been using the site a lot the last few weeks. Lots of good info and cool people but a facebook group/page would be cool and work.-tim

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Still successfully avoiding FB, although that may change when it comes time to post my turbo setup for sale.

The ability to search forums and have a long history of links, numbers, images, etc. (for as long as they remain online) is a great benefit, and supplements the decades-long string of discussions held multiple times on these topics. It was a shame when ClubGP went down, as it had been around since the 3800 Series II started (~1998), with specific and unique modification info/progress, despite now getting just as quiet as here and other forums.

FB and similar platforms are about the immediate posts and media in the moment, and that's how I've seen the mentality of that format deal with these & other cars:
"Can I do it quick, cheap, with big results?"
"Can I make it look good, loud, and avoid working on it further while boasting about the handful of premier (usually vendor-based) builds/results, in place of minimal 3800 knowledge/experience, to win internet points/arguments?"
(then there's YouTube 'comment studs' knocking something they've never done, at least to the level in the video, and suggesting random generic upgrade methods/parts)

I guess I've seen too much internet car banter in the last 20+yrs. Hard to still find people willing to put in the effort to get properly informed. Forums make it much easier to retain what works for reference, and not allow the loudest voice in the room to rise above the rest without merit.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I guess face book is ok once you get used to navigation on that site. Lately I've had a few discussions there and it all worked pretty good. For me I know enough people on FACEBOOK it's ok. I normally see messages from friends and relatives, so looking at it like that, it is decent........once you get used to it. Every now and then I may chime in with a particular discussion if it is prudent. After using it for a while it becomes second nature and away you go.

THAT said, am I the last of the OLD SCHOOL people that still G MAIL?? Hey, I like it, so for now I'll use face book and gmail. I still do receive Gmail messages so using both G mail and Facebook seems to cover all the posts I may receive. The good thing about gmail is it shows up in you messages on a PC which I check and use frequently.

SO..... FB or Gm........ either way I've got the incoming message covered.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Still try to use it as intended, just work has left me less time to be on helping others.
I still have my 2006 Grand Prix GT though... Black on Black, Leather... Love it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using this forum for a few years now and have found it to be a life-saver. A Haynes manual can speak from a technical viewpoint, but doesn't add the tips that come from experience, and YouTube is a total crapshoot. Mr. Goodwrench (Jake) is like the voice of God if you have 3800 issues

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yeah man, much respect due to Jake, he is always helpful.

I am not sure if he is the same Jake that did a nice motor build were he ceramic coated a lot of parts, had a dishwasher as a dedicated parts washer, he was also very helpful and shared a lot.
They may be the same, if they are then Jake has been around for a long time.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah man, much respect due to Jake, he is always helpful.

I am not sure if he is the same Jake that did a nice motor build were he ceramic coated a lot of parts, had a dishwasher as a dedicated parts washer, he was also very helpful and shared a lot.
They may be the same, if they are then Jake has been around for a long time.
You guys are much too kind. My info comes from 50+ years of auto service and repair. Growing up in southern Calif it was a right of passion to have a car(when we were much younger). This wound up with car clubs and LATE NITE DRAG racing in the orange grove area in ORANGE COUNTY CALIF. After all that I finally got a real job working on cars and trucks.... Fast forward to the late 60's and 70's things got going with cars and I ended up in an auto repair shop in Saint Paul Minn. I had a few years at local dealers......CHRYSLER BACK THEN...... THEN, I finally rented a building and away I went........... learning lots about all the different cars I'd see. And the rest is history. As luck would have it and I started getting OLD, my son stepped up after trade school(auto techs) and is now running the shop. He is a very good tech as it turns out and has been pretty successful. Sorry if I bored you guys and gals. PS, my son also ended up being a drag racer like his nutty dad. He is doing well with that(and of coarse I helped him build a nice 383 small block for his Camaro........ THIS HAS TO BE A FAMILY OF GEAR HEADS! Hey, someone has to do it......guess my son and I were the ones for our time of this business and hot rods.

PS, one of my favorite hot rods back then was a 1969 Dodge Dart with a 440 magnum. I got a screaming deal at the dealership I was working for back then. I was also sort of funded by BILL SCHIFSKY and TOM HOOVER who were running a funny car backed by the Dodge dealership. LOTS OF VERY COOL THINGS GOING ON BACK THEN. Talk about nostalga..... I'll shut up now..........but if any of you guys and gals need tips..... Give me something to do for you! Jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys are much too kind. My info comes from 50+ years of auto service and repair. Growing up in southern Calif it was a right of passion to have a car(when we were much younger). This wound up with car clubs and LATE NITE DRAG racing in the orange grove area in ORANGE COUNTY CALIF. After all that I finally got a real job working on cars and trucks.... Fast forward to the late 60's and 70's things got going with cars and I ended up in an auto repair shop in Saint Paul Minn. I had a few years at local dealers......CHRYSLER BACK THEN...... THEN, I finally rented a building and away I went........... learning lots about all the different cars I'd see. And the rest is history. As luck would have it and I started getting OLD, my son stepped up after trade school(auto techs) and is now running the shop. He is a very good tech as it turns out and has been pretty successful. Sorry if I bored you guys and gals. PS, my son also ended up being a drag racer like his nutty dad. He is doing well with that(and of coarse I helped him build a nice 383 small block for his Camaro........ THIS HAS TO BE A FAMILY OF GEAR HEADS! Hey, someone has to do it......guess my son and I were the ones for our time of this business and hot rods.

PS, one of my favorite hot rods back then was a 1969 Dodge Dart with a 440 magnum. I got a screaming deal at the dealership I was working for back then. I was also sort of funded by BILL SCHIFSKY and TOM HOOVER who were running a funny car backed by the Dodge dealership. LOTS OF VERY COOL THINGS GOING ON BACK THEN. Talk about nostalga..... I'll shut up now..........but if any of you guys and gals need tips..... Give me something to do for you! Jake
Not bored at all, and thank you for sharing the story! Funny you mention that Dart, too. I got into cars because of my old man's car when I was growing up: a 69 Dodge Charger with the 440. He was drafted in 67 and bought it about three months after returning to the states. It was stolen and had the tires burned off three times in the first year. The third time, it was stolen from the dealership lot after they repaired the damage from the second theft. I remember him complaining "it was knocking like crazy when I got it back -- cheap bastard wasn't even putting in premium!"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts