3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,842 Posts
I though it was 6pt cage for 11.49 or faster, not sure when you need to upgrade that though...This is from my loacl tracks site and the rules are for IHRA

Elapsed Time (ET) of 7.00 - 9.99
IHRA Class B Competition License required for all drivers running an ET of 0.00 - 7.99 seconds, an IHRA Class C Competition License when running 8.00 - 8.99 seconds or an IHRA Class D Competition License when running 9.00 - 9.99 seconds.
Drive shaft loop
Fire system (8.49 or quicker)
Flywheel shield mandatory (8.49 or quicker)
Harmonic Balancer meeting SFI 18.1 Specifications
Snell 95 (or newer) helmet
Parachute required for all cars running over 150 MPH
Two parachutes required for all cars running over 200 MPH
Jacket meeting SFI 3.2A-5 Specifications
Jacket and pants for all cars running 8.49 seconds or faster which must meet SFI 3.2A-5 Specifications.
Roll cage mandatory for all cars running 9.00 seconds or quicker.
Chassis Certification mandatory for all entries running 9.00 seconds or quicker.
Seat belt meeting SFI 16.1 specifications within 2-year expiration from date of manufacture.
All vehicles running 8.99 or faster must use a diaper.
Flexplate meeting SFI 29.1 specifications
Transmission shield meeting SFI 30.1 specifications
Supercharger strap meeting SFI 14.1 specifications
Neck collar meeting SFI 3.3 specifications (8.49 or quicker)
Gloves meeting SFI 3.3/5 specifications (9.99 or quicker) on open bodied entries.
Arm Restraints meeting SFI 3.3 specifications (9.99 or quicker) on open bodied entries.
Check current IHRA Rule Book for additional requirements and specifications.

Im sure there is more, and someone will chim in with more knowledge on this. So are you thinking of going 9's?

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, i eventualy want to run 9's. My car is light now only 2980lbs with my in it. but theres lots a room for weight reduction. it this weight with full interior, spare tire/jack and every thing else that comes stock on a cavalier. i figgure i can get to 2700lbs with little work. i plan on getting nhra rule book but im just doing a little winter homework. 9.00et as long as i dont go over 150mph then i need a shoot? 9.99 i need a class d licence and fire suit with gloves. helmet of course.

· Registered
1,233 Posts
If yoou are planning on 9s, build the cage for 9s now. Dont just do the 6pt for now and then go back and add the halo and the rest of the points. Do it nce and do it right.

· Registered
1,842 Posts
:icon_eek: Cause when you gotta go, you gotta go. :icon_lol:
I really don't remember posting that LOL :icon_redf
If yoou are planning on 9s, build the cage for 9s now. Dont just do the 6pt for now and then go back and add the halo and the rest of the points. Do it nce and do it right.
Are you using a roll cage? Any pics?

· Registered
573 Posts
no cage for merc, but he does need to get a nice race seat:)
and hes dead on about doing it right the first time.

im glad we never settled for just an 8-point

· Registered
870 Posts
and hes dead on about doing it right the first time.

im glad we never settled for just an 8-point
yeah no sh!t we'll be having enough fun converting the 10point to a 14pt cage:icon_roll

· Registered
1,734 Posts
DOM means drawn over mandrel. It will be a seamless tube.
Normal mild steel will probably have a weld seam running down the length of the tubing.
I dont know the pros and cons of each in this application. But I do know in the power piping industry a seamless pipe will be a little stronger in terms of internal pressure than an ERW pipe (electro resistance welded) with a seam.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Even if you are using chromoly for a roll cage, it will have a thin enough wall thickness where you can use standard mild steel filler wires for either tig or mig, such as ER70S. 1/8th" wall and up is where you start to need pre-heating on the chromoly.

· Registered
573 Posts
the weight dif is a bit more then 10lbs when your done with a 10-14 point cage.
you dont need to replace your cage every 2 years you need to have it inspected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.