3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to search for this info, so I figured I would share.

Please feel free to add to this and Admin please sticky this for others.

Here's a rough estimate of what size you can go with:

* 3.4 Cold air intake, cooler thermostat and mild exhaust work (u-bend delete, cat back)
* 3.3 All the above plus better flowing exhaust(hi-flow/no cat, 3" down pipe) and colder range plugs (AL104's)
* 3.2 All the above plus a very free flowing exhaust (headers), and some mild port work (TB and/or Supercharger)

Any smaller than that and you're going to need some more engine work to either cool the intake (intercooler) or greatly increase intake/exhaust flow (ported heads/supercharger, camshaft, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
+1 for this thread.

Now we need one for what all is needed to convert to E85.:8

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I would not recommend any smaller than a 3.3 w/o a custom tune, plugs w/ a 3.4 wouldn't be a bad idea either.

To be safe you should probably run rockers with a 3.3 but depending on the car, and scanning and the level of tune you might be able to squeak by, but.....

Good sticky!

·
Super Moderator
3,489 Posts
1)Larger fuel injectors (55-60#)

2)Wideband

3)Tuner

4)Change Stoich to 9.85 and best PE to 7.0

Doing it this way requires other fuel changes to be made. I found it easier to to take your IFR table and multiply it by .65 and tune from there. A lambda of .750 (11:1 for gas) seems to be the sweet spot for E85.

Both methods work.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would say a shortstack- copper 104 - 180 stat. ubend.. and intake.. that should be for 3.2 pulley.. If you want to go down even farther then you need a better inercooler cam or rockers

·
Registered
6 Posts
What gains will I get with a 3.4 pulley, Cold air intake, cooler thermostat and mild exhaust work (u-bend delete, cat back)?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
This sticky is probably not the best place for your post

·
Registered
297 Posts
What gains will I get with a 3.4 pulley, Cold air intake, cooler thermostat and mild exhaust work (u-bend delete, cat back)?
You'll likely have NEGATIVE gains, as you will have significant KR with those little mentioned mods. Sorry, that's just the reality. Pulleys don't make power unless your car is ready for it. Everything but the pulley is a good thing to have though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You'll likely have NEGATIVE gains, as you will have significant KR with those little mentioned mods. Sorry, that's just the reality. Pulleys don't make power unless your car is ready for it. Everything but the pulley is a good thing to have though.
he copied and pasted exactly what it says he needs to mod in order run a 3.4, so from what he is reading those supporting mods are enough rather than trying to knock him down why not steer him in the right direction

·
Registered
297 Posts
he copied and pasted exactly what it says he needs to mod in order run a 3.4, so from what he is reading those supporting mods are enough rather than trying to knock him down why not steer him in the right direction
Alright, you obviously did not read his post, so let me quote it for everyone, especially you.

I don't know, that seems like a pretty simple question. The answer? None. That setup is going to have KR. VERY simple question, with a VERY simple answer. I will say this though, more mods are needed. Specifically, exhuast. It is difficult to run KR free with a 3.4" pulley, and every car is different, so I can't give a solid answer. But the first thing to do is tune the car, run KR free, and then add a pulley.

Lemme clarify the process because this is good information:

Fueling -> Timing -> THEN PULLEY

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I ran a 3.4 with only a 180* T-stat and a DP at first. 0KR. Everyones car is different and those are just guidelines. Doesn't mean you HAVE to have those mods to see no KR.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yea i have seen many cars run a 3.4 with the factory cat and u bend with a minor tune and have 0kr at all times

·
Registered
178 Posts
the only two supercharged series two's i have worked with never liked small pulleys.

my little brother has the jmb fenderwell intake, plogs.104's, 160 thermostat intense pcm, and all supporting mods for his 3.4" pulley and he is seeing up to 5* of kr with this pulley at 10* of timing at wot. if we pull the timing to get rid of the kr its just stupid slow.

my car with the jmb intake, gutted cat,103's,160* thermostat and ported lower intake and zzp pcm with the 2.5 would run 14* of timing at first with the 3.5" pulley but due to poor fuel tuning and vacuum leak kr kept getting worse and i kept reducing timing untill one day the motor let go. i was at 10* of timing advance at wot when this happened.

its all in the tune!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i guess i got lucky then because i am running a 3.6 on a higher comp l36 with 18* of timing and i have stock manifolds and lim

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have a feeling its in your better tune.

my little brother pulled way better numbers than i did on the same dyno too.

he pulled 225whp to my 190whp..:pissed:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I can run a 3.0(Worked Gen V) with 0KR and have no IC and don't have to turn the meth on. It's all in the build and tune.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i think some motors are different than others but not to that extreme i think it all about finding the right tune and balance like im planning on getting some rockers or headers soon and plan on dropping 2 pulley sizes or 3 if i get both

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also ran a 3.4 with a 3" downpipe as the only exhaust mod knock-free. I actually began knocking AFTER I added a PLOG. Too lean.. LOL

Lemme clarify the process because this is good information:

Fueling -> Timing -> THEN PULLEY
Aren't your fueling and timing requirements going to change when you drop pulley sizes? No offense, but your approach doesn't make any sense to me. I want my car dialed in for the combination I'm running NOW, not the combination I was running before.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts