3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS that had it 3800 standard motor in it I put in a Supercharged motor out of a 2002 Pontiac GTP and I'm unable to get the car to start or to crank over using the 2002 GTP computer if I install the original computer from the Monte Carlo car starts up and runs my question is there's some things that The Supercharged motor has that the old motor didn't have how do I get the Pontiac GTP computer to work with my Monte Carlo SS in to get my car to start?

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
You'll want to keep using the Monte Carlo's PCM to avoid issues with the security and other items.

Main tweaks I had to do when adding a supercharged setup to a Monte Carlo (top swap or engine swap), was changing the fueling tables to match the supercharged tables (injectors, MAF, Air-Fuel settings, etc.).

Unless you want to do some extra tweaking, leave the original MAP sensor connected to the vacuum lines, instead of the supercharged one. There's ways to change this, but it's been about 10yrs since I tinkered with some Monte's/Impala's for this.

Above all, you'll want to scan the car to monitor how it's doing initially. Another option would be to buy a tuned PCM through a vendor, like ZZP, providing your car's setup and any mods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome thank you for the info my next question is where do I go or how do I change the settings the fuel settings and what not to match the supercharged settings like can you fill me in on more info on that please

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to say I used the Montes? original wiring harness and then I just added the bbv solenoid wires to the original Monte Carlo's wiring wondering is there any tricks or anything I should know about the wiring harness as well

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
You're going to want to either buy an HPTuners and start learning, or have someone reprogram a PCM for your needs, to run safely long-term.

The throttle body and MAF are different enough, along with now having larger fuel injectors, that the stock settings on the Monte Carlo PCM will be able to run it, but without adjusting to the new parts, you're blind to potential fueling issues.

Links:
ZZP PCM - recommend if you don't have car programming experience
HPTuners site (ZZP and LS1, etc. vendors also sell them)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been running the same setup as you for a couple years now. How i got around the ecm problem was this. I sent my original monte ecm to dynotune motor sports and he flashed the monte ecm with a l67 bin and tune. Because the monte ecm was married to the car i had no problems with starting and the security problems.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
True, the couple of companies still tuning 3800's will do this for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts