3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my stock pully but don't want the hassle or the expense of buy/renting a pully puller. I do have my own pully puller but am afraid that it is not just like the one on the web. Has anyone taken off their pully without the pully puller that webdealers are insisting that you buy or rent from them without damaging anything. I have read on gtp world that someone used a puller from autozone. feedback please!! :confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Made my own puller

I made my own with a few scrap pieces i found around the shop at my work. Worked great, no problems, didn't wreck anything. I don't even think i needed to double up the pulling side of it. The pullers online are very much overkill it seems. The only thing i bought was the bolt kit so i didn't have to deal with the hassle of fabing that up myself. I got the bolt kit from...

http://alpineecho.com/catalog5/default.php/cPath/2

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I did mine with a regular pulley puller twice. It was a pain in the ass and did not work the best. The way i did it was i heated the pulley with a torch :eek: The pulley came off pretty easily after that. Same thing when i put in on except i put ice on the supercharger shaft then heated the pulley(first time) and hub (second time). It slide right on with no problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
dont use the three prong puller i went to a shop they told me they had the puller when i went to see what they were doing they were using a three prong puller and made 3 big dents in my stock pulley.. at least put a plate behind the pulley so you dont mess it up

·
Registered
8 Posts
well we attempted to use a 3 jaw pully puller along with ice and heat and and in return got 3 large dents and a big wobble in the pully there is another way if you care you can take the nose off and take it to our local tranny shop that has a hydralic bearing press and do it that way....

·
Registered
784 Posts
Do any of you honestly think you saved anything by not buying, renting or making the correct tool for the job? Heating the shaft with a torch? You've got to be kidding!

·
Registered
8 Posts
you dont heat the shaft you heat the pully....

·
Registered
8 Posts
How ever we are not trying to salvage any old parts we are trying to run in the mid to low 12s for now if this motor or blower goes so be it we are looking for a new blower for it already... but i would advise anyone who is gonna do pulley changes often to buy or rent the proper tool....

Dave

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If you are gointg to be changing your pulleys often then get a MPS. But yes if you are going to do pully swaps for other people, get a pulley puller and do it right. i have seen and heard of many horrer stories by not using the right tool for the job. Bent shafts, broken seals, warped pulleys. Sometimes they have to be cut off cause they are bent so bad.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Well, I guess that's my point. I'm not trying to bash anyone. But, That's something like an .008" press. That is an incredible press. In the manufacturing world, .0015 - .003 is a tight press. And heating the pulley enough to open that ID to slide that pulley off is nuts. A lot of heat will transfer to the shaft. Also, metal warps under extreme heat. For the amount of damage that can be caused, on this most basic of upgrades, it's just not worth the chance on removing that pulley without the proper tool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yenick1 said:
I made my own with a few scrap pieces i found around the shop at my work. Worked great, no problems, didn't wreck anything. I don't even think i needed to double up the pulling side of it. The pullers online are very much overkill it seems. The only thing i bought was the bolt kit so i didn't have to deal with the hassle of fabing that up myself. I got the bolt kit from...

http://alpineecho.com/catalog5/default.php/cPath/2

Nick
I also took this same route, mine looks almost identical to this one and I also ordered my press rod from the same website, I would do this if you can make one or find someone to make it for you

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If i had to do it over I would buy the proper tool. I got lucky when I did that to my car. I got away with it twice without damaging anything but the pulleys that I wasn't going to use anymore. The stock pulley had the three dents in it and the other one also had the dents. But I bought the Intense pulley change system and it works awesome. It is a huge pain in the ass with out the proper tool but it can be done it you are very careful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts