3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for my turbo setup im just working out the PCV issue.

Im removing the M90 and am getting a custom plenum made up to bolt onto the lower inlet manifold. It wont be incorporating the PCV valve, I will be plugging it (as well as the coolant passages) on the manifold.

Therefor I am getting a custom Oil Breather tank made up (externally vented) and will be running lines out of each valve cover into the tank and then a drain line back to the sump.

My question is will this create any problems as ive read about people blocking the PCV valve and running a valve cover breather has caused oil to come out of the filter due to positive pressure.

If this wont work properly what else do I need to do?

thanks

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

Crankcase pressure will definitely become an issue with added boost. A stock ventilation system really isn't adequate for this, nor is a breather setup. You need a positive evacuation system such as the Shogun setup.

http://www.shogunindustries.com/cgi...0083511959&page=products.htm&view_item=E42798

This system uses exhaust vacuum to suck pressure out of the crankcase and right out the exhaust through the breathers. The breathers are sealed so that oil can't leak out.
Some gets sucked out the tailpipe, and some drips back into engine. The breathers also have a check ball that prevents backfires from entering crankcase.
Hope this helps.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

With this system exactly how is it set up?
I assume you drill and tap a fitting onto each valve cover and run a line from each cover into the shogun unit (what size lines would be needed)? The unit looks like its only designed for single valve covers, could I just merge the 2 pipes into one or do I need 2 units? Then where on the exhaust do I connect it too? on the dump pipe or the primaries?

One last thing does anyone else run a system like this (such as the Intense Turbo car)? and does sucking oil into the exhaust system cause smoke or any other problems for a daily driver car?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with ya Jeff...Im am tired of smelling oil in my car aswell with the breather assembly. I had a simular evacuation system on a old 79 400 TA. It worked well.

And yes from time to time it shot a little black smoke out. Not sure if you want to run this system before a cat or resinater. Might cause some probs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts