3800Pro Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having a code reader and being able to clear them makes all the difference in the world. I bought one for $20 at Walmart. It's not high tech but it get the job done.
Several years ago , I was trying to bring a 1996 Chevy Lumina 3.1l back into service . I got tired of taking it to AutoZone and O'Reilly to get the codes cleared . I purchased a basic $ 50 code reader / clearer from AutoZone .

Have used it on several vehicles since .

Wyr
God bless

·
Registered
215 Posts
I usually but from Advance Auto Parts because I know the guys working there and have bought so much they just give me a mechanics discount. When I can't find what I need there I buy from Rock Auto. I recommend staying away from eBay with their cheap Chinese parts though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Installed the new pedal sensor, ( easy to install ) did the relearn period as described by Kevin, test drove it at low speed and high speed, shut the car off once and restarted ten mins later with another drive. So far all is well. I will drive it all week and report back in one week, unless it fails again sooner. I am hoping for better gas mileage too. Seems to have better pickup and idles better with and without ac running. I really enjoy driving this car in Florida and hope to keep it going for many more miles ( 144,000 now ) . Once in a while i have to put some time and money into it but its long paid for and zips around real nice. Thanks to all who responded so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bob - Glad it's running well again! Ours now has 184K on the odometer and is still going strong out here in Arizona, even in the triple-digit heat. Do check back and let us know how it's continuing to run for you. Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Okay: One week later NO ISSUES at all, several starts and stops, Idles better, takes off better, Sitting at stop lights no more jerking. So issue behind me. Time to relax right? Nope, now my ac compressor died!!!! In July in Florida!!. Well its going to be awhile before i tackle this one, going to change out the compressor, condenser, and other key parts, maybe a new radiator too as long as i am in there. . But not now. Thank God I have other vehicles with ac to drive on the weekends, Thanks for the help guys. Bob.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bob - Fantastic that the throttle problem is resolved!
Too bad about the A/C though. Our compressor went bad too about 7 years ago. I was out of town on business and my wife needed the car. Had her take it to a Goodyear store we've used in the past. They replaced the compressor & expansion valve and it's worked great ever since, but costly at $1500.
All the best - Kevin

·
Registered
910 Posts
Good to hear that the AC was fixed. BUT, the $ you paid for that AC repair was way over the top for price.... Maybe in the future call around a bit so you can get a MUCH BETTER PRICE. Good Year facilities are known to be over the top with their pricing! Maybe next time make a few calls for prices...... Jake

·
Registered
215 Posts
I took off the throttle body and cleaned it more, I think my issue is with the accelerator pedal position sensor or the wiring coming from it. All the symptoms point to it and the code p1125. I hate just buying parts but i am going to recheck my wires and if i dont find anything im buying the pedal sensor for about $100 from advanced auto. I m also looking into buying an OBDLink MX+ too , $80.00 , looks like a nice product and i can check my own stuff and do resets too, plus monitor some systems as i drive. Thanks for the inputs.
The OBDLink MX+ is an awesome tools to have in your tool chest. I have one and it let's me diagnose most problems that come up. You may also want to price out your parts at www.rockauto.com they have very good prices on most parts and have fast shipping.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Jake - Totally agree it was pricey. Normally would have replaced the compressor myself and evacuated and recharged for a fraction of their estimate. Being out of town and across the country on business precluded doing so. A/C out here in the AZ summer is like a life-support system. Sometimes you just have to bend over and take it as I did on that particular instance. Wasn't going to have my wife drive around in 110+ heat without A/C to get multiple quotes from shops we had no experience with. Thankfully I save for these types of situations so I can afford to do this occasionally. While Goodyear is high, they did it quickly, guaranteed their work and had my wife (and kids) in a cool comfortable ride again. Plus I didn't have to work on the car in summer heat after 2-weeks on the road!
Kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bob - That's great to hear! Ditto on our end too. The AC/Delco pedal ass'y did the trick for both of us. Take care!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update, still no problems, glad i bought OEM, thanks to the advise on here.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts