3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 impala ss. Tried to seal the flange between the rear manifold and the downpipe like 4 times now and every gasket we’ve tried, leaks like crazy. Anybody had anything similar or know of a part number for a decent gasket? Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
If the gasket sealing areas on the manifold and down pipe aren't flat and clean, you may not be able to get the best seal. When I run into something like this, I've used some ZEP "RED HIGH TEMP SEALER". THIS STUFF WORKS FANTASTIC. My son's motor home developed a blown OEM seal and eroded these sealing areas. Cleaned up sealing areas, generous amount of ZEP RED. Test fired engine and there were no leaks at idle speed. Let sit over night and the next morning my son towed his hot rod to BRAINERD mn..... 140 miles of towing and ZERO LEAKS. It does not HARDEN......it gets to a firm rubber density and stays that way. BEST SEALER EVER Jake

PS, one time in a pinch, my shower drain started dripping. Sealed up the drain fixture and it's been dry for several years.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Take the manifold off and clean the flange area, possible use sand paper to smooth it out, if you can reach it without taking it out, do the same on the pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts