3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my control arm because it started shaking really bad because the bushings had gone bad, I have everything out except for the ball joint. Me and my friends thought it would be a good idea to just cut the ball joint off, but now we're left with a stud that is inside the spindle still. I've tried heating the spindle and stud while hitting it with a hammer, tried using a c clamp but it still wont come out. Really need some ideas

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yikes!

Looks like beating the knuckle didn't shake it loose huh? You really goofed by making that cut. They make pickle forks for these situations, but that's out of the question now. You might have to take the knuckle off and pound that sucker out from the top.

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. Stock and rust free. Totaled @ 87K miles
116 Posts
sounds like you might have to remove the knuckle and get a hydraulic press to press it out.

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
Yup, mine get stuck when I run them for a few years, and typically use a pry bar with slight pressure down on the control arm while hitting the side with a 2-3 pound hammer (mini sledge that fits to hit the knuckle).

If you get a pry bar or crow bar of some sort to press against the top of the stud and the axle, you should be able to still beat on the knuckle side with a hammer (the hitting breaks it loose, the pressure just guides it out when free, so don't go nuts on that part).

Good luck, I've dealt with my Regal being stubborn a few times, and even using anti-seize on the stud cone during install doesn't guarantee an easier job next time. Good thing is that it's not going anywhere when installed.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
sounds like you might have to remove the knuckle and get a hydraulic press to press it out.
From what has been mentioned, you will need to remove the knuckle, a good press, and may be some HEAT to expand the parts. Hate to say it, but a new knuckle may be in order....... Jake(mr goodwrench)

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input. I ended up having to remove the cv axle after that I was able to heat it and hit it out from the top.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a nightmare situation with a 2010 Subaru Forester. I decided not to buy the tool for the ball joint. I got the ball joint loose out of the control arm but not the butt out of the wheel hub and nothing I did worked to get it out until (heat, pickle forks, 2x4 smack on control arm etc) it eventually snapped off with the the fat end of the ball joint stuck up into the wheel hub assembly.
It literally took me 2 days with a Dremel tool butane torch and a lot of cursing and prying.
Paid $25 for the tool specific to only Subaru had the other one out in 25 minutes lesson learned.
Point of the story you might have to go a similar route and the moral is we learn from our mistakes especially when they're painful or expensive ones lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts