3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just for kicks, there is a 00's RamAir GrandAm at the wreckers, I was wondering about grabbing the RamAir components and airbix from it and trying to incorporate it somehow into my 98 Regal GS Do you think it would be worth a try? It looks like it may kinda fit...ish...

Pic of the GAGT RamAir Shroud: (The top cover is there, just not pictured)

Airbox location:

Regal GS Front:

Regal GS Airbox Location:

So by using the GAGT airbox and take out the GS one, or modify the Regal airbox to accept the duct from the Ramair somehow? Maybe? kinda? what do you think? Worth a shot? I dunno kinda was just thinking it may be worth a go haha...

Chris

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
Not sure if you wound up getting it, but I'd also suggest going to a 1999+ style airbox for better airflow. That would be a better option, and had a big opening behind the headlight, rather than a small hole to the fenderwell.

Your car looks super clean, by the way!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did get it, but ended up returning it. Didn't quite fit right, but in hind sight probably should have kept it as I think I could have made it work if I changed things around a bit, but it's long gone now. I may do that newer airbox upgrade. Since I did an M90 GenV swap, the adapter adds an inch to the intake and now the tube is pinched a little because of that. hopefully an airbox swap will fix that. Can I grab the airbox off a GPGTP? Will my coolant reservoir need to be replaced and relocated also if I did?

Thanks! My car wasn't that clean to begin with. It was pretty rough when I got it, but I saw the potential and got it for cheap. The only rust is on the driver side rear upper fenderwell. Gotta look into taking care of that sometime in the near future before it worsens. I will try and take some newer pics after thew swap. Looks even better now.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
The airbox is the same for all 3800 Wbody cars 1999-2003, and you'll need the coolant tank for the passenger side. Moving to that tank (from eBay, junkyard, or a vendor) gives you the option for all types of intake options later, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will do this. I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Sooooo... I looked into doing this upgrade to the newer setup, but one thing is concerning... what about the ABS setup? It's at the firewall passenger side right where the new coolant reservoir would go. The newer cars have it drivers side. With that unit of the passenger side like mine, there isn't room for the reservoir. Is there?I never tried, just looked and figured nope.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
Ah, forgot they were sloppy with placement of things in the early years. I was lucky my '98 GTP wasn't too wacky as a late build for the Daytona edition.

I'd look into some aftermarket coolants overflow tanks on eBay for cheap, and more convenient to mount anywhere.

There's the universal Dorman plastic one for ~$17...

There's also some more sleek aluminum ones for $15-50, depending on your preference...

This is some of the fun part where you get to carefully customize your engine bay with parts that perform a routine function, but it also adds a unique look once you get it figured out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts